Grrrr..... Cant figure out that nice crisp image with the blurred background! HELP!

amg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there
Was hoping someone can help me out on here.....
I want to go out with my camera today and want to try getting some nice crisp images with the blurry background effect.
I read some where put you camera on av mode set to smallest aperture zoom all the way in.....Check Check and check!!!!
Now the problem is my camera isnt setting my shutter speed correctly or something cause everytime my subject moves the whole picture is blurry :( BOOOOOOOO!!!!
What is going on there must be more to this? Cause I am not getting it right!!!!!
Thank you everyone and have a wonderful day!!!!!

You need to set your aperture to its largest, this will be something like f/4 or f/5.6 dependant on your lens. If your camera is not able to gwt your shutter speed high enough to stop blur then there isnt enough light, are you checking your meter?

Aperture is actually a reciprocal so f/4 is actually a larger number than f/8 for example

why don't you post the equipment you are shooting with.. makes it easier to help! You may not want to shoot "Wide Open" (i.e. Largest Aperture) if you want a crisp, in focus subject.. depending on your equipment, and your skill level.

You might want to post an image (with Exif data) also.. it helps us to see what you are doing

Yes thats what I ment the smallest number meaning wide open...Ok Not enough light!!!!! So I need to be in a well lit area...... I am not sure if my camera has a meter lol cause if it does I have no clue where it is or how to use it I have a Rebel t3???? Maybe I could learn how to use that today to if I can figure out where it is!!!!

If you want your subject sharp, AND your background blurry, you need a wide open aperture (smallest number, but biggest opening) like 1.8, 2.8 or so. If you do this in AV mode, the camera will set an appropriate shutter speed. Assuming you are using a Canon, and an ISO of 100, an aperture of f/2.8 and are shooting daytime, your shutter speed would be around 1/4000 sec. Plenty fast. If you misunderstood smallest aperture as being the highest number (like f/22), then you will be getting the opposite of what you are looking for - a very deep depth-of-field, and your camera will slow down the shutter speed to compensate. That's why your shots are blurry.

Aperture - Shutter speed - ISO

Together they form your exposure; if one changes the others must compensate to keep the total exposure.

You might want to get the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It will go into more depth about exposure both practically and creativly as well as giving you some case studies to work with. It's an easy to follow book aimed at the beginner keen to take control over the camera.

As for your situation, a short explanation is that your shutter speed is being set correctly; for a correct exposure, but the camera. The shutter speed is being set based on the light present and on the aperture and ISO that you have selected. If the shutter speed ends up too slow to freeze the motion you have two choices;

1) Use a higher ISO. Your noise in the shot will increase, but you'll get a faster shutter speed and thus no blurring. Blur cannot be fixed in editing*, but noise can be.

2) Use a wider aperture (smaller f number). This lets in more light and thus lets you use a faster shutter speed.

If you were going for selective focus you will already have been using a wide aperture (small f number) which gives you a small depth of field (area of the photo that is sharp and in-focus). Thus in that situation your only other option would be to raise your ISO.

Remember even in AV mode the camera still displays the shutter speed in your viewfinder so you can always keep an eye on it as you shoot.

*ok it might be possible but you're looking at hours of work to get a good result

To increase the background blur

- Use a wider aperture. (smaller the f number, f/2.8 is better than f/8)
- Use a longer focal length. (200mm is better than 24mm)
- Shorten the distance between the subject and camera. (subject distance of 7 ft is better than 20 ft)
- Increase the distance between the subject and background. (background to subject distance of 300ft is better than 30ft)

This is only my 5th time out with my camera so I would say I am still a newbie....I only have one lense it is a kit lense 18-55 mm and that is all I own.

Yes thats what I ment the smallest number meaning wide open...Ok Not enough light!!!!! So I need to be in a well lit area...... I am not sure if my camera has a meter lol cause if it does I have no clue where it is or how to use it I have a Rebel t3???? Maybe I could learn how to use that today to if I can figure out where it is!!!!

Read your manual - seriously open it up and go page one to end reading it.
Then repeat the process whilst playing with the camera
Then repeat again - this time looking at the metering and exposure sections of the manual.

When I started my manual lived in my camera bag - where the camera went the manual went. Referencing and checking the manual in the field is a great way to help learn as you're shooting; its no use if you don't read it or you left it at home.

Note if you've lost/didn't get a manual the Canon website will have it for download.

This is only my 5th time out with my camera so I would say I am still a newbie....I only have one lense it is a kit lense 18-55 mm and that is all I own.

Like I said.. post a pic.. with the shoot data....

subject distance, background distance, focal length, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, ambient light (and more) all play a role in this.....

I think my issue was the light I was shooting iso 100 aperture 5.6 thats the lowest I can get and I was zoomed out all the way to 55mm as far as I can go..... I am limited here. I coould get the effect I was looking for by holding the camera very still and shooting a stuff animal but trying to shoot my 10 month old was next to impossible...... So I am gonna try bumping up my iso...... would like to know more about this meter though :)

I think my issue was the light I was shooting iso 100 aperture 5.6 thats the lowest I can get and I was zoomed out all the way to 55mm as far as I can go..... I am limited here. I coould get the effect I was looking for by holding the camera very still and shooting a stuff animal but trying to shoot my 10 month old was next to impossible...... So I am gonna try bumping up my iso...... would like to know more about this meter though :)

Google Canon T3i and metering, lot's of info i.e.: Choosing an Exposure Metering Mode on a Canon EOS Rebel T3 Series Camera - For Dummies

Ok so I figured it out......And of course you guys were right as always it was a light issue bumped up that iso and perfection and the shutter speed was quick enough to keep up with my 10 month old!!!! Thank you Everyone!!!! And I will def take your advice and take that Manual with me and find the meter... didnt even know there was one lol I am sure it will be very handy once I find it and understand how to use it!!!! And will def look into the books suggested.......Enjoy the rest of you day!!!! Thanks :)

Holy Crap that is totally cool Thank you rkt!!!!!! and lol I have seen that meter I thought it was to adjust exsposure yes go ahead and laugh..... I was swearing at my camera last and wondering why it would let me adjust it lmao..... Wooohoo I feel like I found a new toy :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back