GRRRR WHY WONT IT WORK

one more question if you don't mind... the dark image comes from the lighting in the room correct.. there is no way to fix this without a different light source?

You can try in M to make one adjustment to see what happens, making one change can allow more light in to your camera's sensor to light up your photo.

I don't know if your lens will allow you to change your f/stop or if your ISO is able to go higher than 1600.

So change your shutter speed from 1/60 to 1/30 and see if that opens it up a bit more, but at that slow a shutter speed take the shot with the camera on a table and then carfeully press the shutter button or the shaking will take the sharpness away. Try that and see what happens for you. You should start to get the idea now about the exposure triangle.

Last edited:
one more question if you don't mind... the dark image comes from the lighting in the room correct.. there is no way to fix this without a different light source?
No, you can take a picture anywhere in any light condition.

Read about exposure in your camera manual. On M, you control all the settings. If there is low light, you need to adjust the settings to allow more light to hit the camera sensor. Sensor / film = light sensitive surface which results in an image.

You were getting black images because the settings on your camera were not allowing enough light in to make a proper exposure. You can fix this by opening the aperture as wide as it will go (smaller numbers = bigger opening), or lowering the shutter speed (1/2 is much longer than 1/60), or increasing ISO speed.

You can try in M to make one adjustment to see what happens, making one change can allow more light in to your camera's sensor to light up your photo.

I don't know if your lens will allow you to change your f/stop or if your ISO is able to go higher than 1600.

So change your shutter speed from 1/60 to 1/30 and see if that opens it up a bit more, but at that slow a shutter speed take the shot with the camera on a table and then carfeully press the shutter button or the shaking will take the sharpness away. Try that and see what happens for you. You should start to get the idea not about the exposure triangle.

I can adjust both my f stop but 5 is the lowest it goes to my iso can go to 3200.

Take a picture at f/5, 1/2, ISO 3200 just for kicks.

See what happens.

So change your shutter speed from 1/60 to 1/30 and see if that opens it up a bit more, but at that slow a shutter speed take the shot with the camera on a table and then carfeully press the shutter button or the shaking will take the sharpness away. Try that and see what happens for you. You should start to get the idea not about the exposure triangle.

I can adjust both my f stop but 5 is the lowest it goes to my iso can go to 3200.

OK so try one with the change of each setting. Take the 3200 and the f/5 and the 1/60 and see if you like that.

Take the 1600 and the f/5 and the 1/30 and see about that too.

The higher the ISO the more noise is created in very low light.

Activate your on camera flash to make life easier. You might even be able to lower the iso. Practice, practice, practice. Don't panic and we're here for ya.:thumbup:

OK so try one with the change of each setting. Take the 3200 and the f/5 and the 1/60 and see if you like that.

Take the 1600 and the f/5 and the 1/30 and see about that too.

The higher the ISO the more noise is created in very low light.

I have noticed the noise... 1/30 is still fairly dark 1/20 seems to be about the best... I figure this evening once I put the boy to bed I am going to set out a toy or something (the subject doesnt really matter to much) and take a picture with all the settings I have been advised to use and post them to see what you all figure about it

Activate your on camera flash to make life easier. You might even be able to lower the iso. Practice, practice, practice. Don't panic and we're here for ya.:thumbup:

The flash makes everything crazy bright though... if I go 1/10 f5.0 Iso1600 they don't seem so bad... I have decided on my sister as the subject for my experiment here so we will see how it goes

With your camera in a standard lit room will be almost impossible to take a clear photo without flash. The noise will be bad and the shutter will be too slow for portraits/images of people without the use of flash.

Remember though if you're taking a photo of a still subject you'll be able to get away with a much slower shutter speed than if you are taking a photo of a moving subject (such as your child). In addition you have to consider your own hands holding the camera - typically the rule is shutter speed should be at least 1/focal length of the lens. So for example if your using a 50mm lens its 1/50sec at the slowest -- if its a 35mm its 1/35mm sec.

If you want a book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is oft recomended by many people here as a good book to learning the exposure triangle and how to take control over your camera.

Try your av at 5 to 6, shutter at about 100 and iso at 200 or 400 and the brightness will be reduced then you simply work the settings slowly up or down. Now remember the background will be dark since the on board flash only goes 8-12 feet. Easing the settings back will reduce the blow out and also the noise. IMO using the camera at max iso will cause needless noise. Use of flash also helps freeze the subject.

1/100 f5.6 Iso 200 (with onboard flash)
IMG_0967.jpg

1/60 f5.6 iso 3200 (no flash)
IMG_0969.jpg

1/60 f5.6 iso 1600 (no Flash)
IMG_0970.jpg

1/30 f5.6 iso 1600
IMG_0971.jpg

1/30 f5.6 iso 3200
IMG_0972.jpg

1/4 f5.6 iso 3200
IMG_0973.jpg

:thumbup:thats how you do it, Good Job! You probably could go to shutter 1/120 or /150 and get the same as the last picture without the noise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back