GRRRR WHY WONT IT WORK

Jessielee13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I am diving deeper into my Canon Rebel T1I and am trying out the M mode... so I get everything all set according to what I have red about aperture iso and shutter speed click the picture go in to look at it and the screen is black... any idea why... all the other modes on the camera work fine.

The picture is black because you're getting underexposure. That means you've made a mistake in setting the settings and its most likely that you've not kept an eye on the camera meter through your viewfinder when metering the scene.

Try again and this time try to get the needle in the exposure meter you can see through the viewfinder to be in the middle of the line of exposure you have

Please be more specific, what aperature, what speed, what ISO, what subject, what lighting. Obviously you don't have enough light for your settings or you forgot to remove the lens cap :D

edit: Darn I need to type faster :D

Underexposure.

Just a wild guess.

Take a shot it in auto/program and then find those settings. Then use those setting to set the camera in M and see what happens. I agree it sounds like severe underexposure but by testing this way maybe somethting whacky is going on.

When you were changing all of those settings, did you happen to look at the meter in the viewfinder?

Depending on what metering mode you're using, and where you are metering - you'll want the needle to be more or less close to zero. It should at least be visible on the meter. For a totally black picture, I don't think the needle would have even been visible.

First of all the lens cap was removed... I actually tried again just to make sure that wasnt it... now for the other option... test in auto
I still cant get it to work.... I am just sitting in my living room playing with it to get it to work... so I have a standing lamp on it is dusk outside so not much light coming in through the window and i was going to take a picture of my son sitting on the floor just to see what happens... I donno how to make this work

I agree w/ GeorgieGirl. Write down the auto settings and apply them in Manual. Your exposure meter should settle somewhere in the middle.

In Auto:

What is your ISO

What is your shutter speed

What is your f/stop

???

Even in Auto mode you may not have enough light for exposure. Please see if you can find the iso, aperature and speed settings?

now when I plug those into my m an image now appears (YAY) although it is extreamly dark... Thank you all so much for your willingness to help me learn this :)

now when I plug those into my m an image now appears (YAY) although it is extreamly dark... Thank you all so much for your willingness to help me learn this :)

You are welcome. It's always about three settings.

one more question if you don't mind... the dark image comes from the lighting in the room correct.. there is no way to fix this without a different light source?

So then is there a book or a site i can read and when to set it at what or is it trial and error?

Most reactions

Back