Guess who's back, back again....

Bram

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Bergen op Zoom, Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello TPF, im doing fantastic thanks for asking.

Anywhoo, as some of you may remember I posted about the VRII lens (70-200 2.8 ofcourse) being an upgrade and a new addition to my rig. Now, on that thread somebody mentioned, why spend $2639.69 when I can spend just over two grand and get a D300 plus a 80-200 2.8. Well I recently saw a 80-200mm 2.8 AFS (which will af on my d40x) for only $1039.00 mean yeah i'll still have my d40x but at least faster glass is here. Then later I could upgrade the body to a D300 or maybe a D7k who knows. At least i'll already have an auto focusing lens right? So TPF another question. What would you do, if you were in my situation. Three options are available to me.

Option #1: upgrade only lens to 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII for about $2650.00 CDN
Option #2: upgrade body to used D300 (no S) and get a 80-200mm f/2.8 AF no (s) all for around $2100.00 CDN
Option #3: upgrade only lens to a 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S which will af on my D40x, and keep that d40x for about $1100.00

Thanks.

Option #3: upgrade only lens to a 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S which will af on my D40x, and keep that d40x for about $1100.00

Option #3 then wait for the D400.

Screw this.... Where's meh picts of Marshal Mathers? :twak:

:greenpbl:

img8022.jpg

:p

lol i think most will say Option 3 with either the D7K, D400 as your new body.

any of those lenses you'll be happy with you but at some point you need to decide when your body needs an upgrading and your time has def come, people may argue that its about the glass and you should invest in glass over a new body but there is a time where a new body must come into play. the biggest changes since the D40 has been primarily in noise-reduction/handling...i myself use a D200 (used) and played with my friends 7D and another friend's D90...the noise reduction advances is more than enough to break open new doors that you wouldnt dare cross with a D40.

Oh no I completely agree with you, any upgrade whether it be glass or body is a monumental upgrade for me to say the least. For now though I think upgrading to the af-s 80-200mm f/2.8 will be more beneficial then upgrading my body. I was thinking getting this lens for now and playing around with it then later upgrading to a used D300 or something.

haha im confused now...everyone is saying option 3 lol...thats exactly what your instincts are telling you and were all confirming lol...go out get the lens then get a body soon after...stop thinking and go for it!

Most reactions

Back