Hacking a digital camera onto a medium format camera

The Tinkerer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Having modded a Fuji Instax mini onto a Bronica ETRS, I was wondering if anyone has given any thought to grafting a digital camera to a medium format body.

Why not buy a digital MF camera?

cost.

I grafted a Fuji X-M1 onto the back of a busch Pressman 2-1/4x 3 1/4.

I also grafted a 1Ds onto a Calumet. this is common.

But even older used Med. Format digital rigs will take you well over $1500.

So, I'm guessing based on your user name, the point is not necessarily having a digital MF camera, but rather the process of modifying the Bronica - not the destination but the journey?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but digital backs for Bronicas already exist. Is there something else you are trying to accomplish by grafting a dedicated digital camera to the Bronica? Is there something that this will achieve that an existing digital back won't? Or is it just to see if you can do it?

Yes, I do have digital slrs. And yes, there are digital backs for medium format film cameras - Bronicas seem to be treated as the red headed stepchild. $675.00 for a used adapter plate just rubs me the wrong way. Those other "go fund me" or whatever they're called backs using fingernail sized sensors just don't interest me. I saw a Nikon FE (or F2 ) modded to take a 20 MP Sony NEX which looked like something that would work for the Bronica. I'm hoping to do it for less than $150.00.

Yes, I do have digital slrs. And yes, there are digital backs for medium format film cameras - Bronicas seem to be treated as the red headed stepchild. $675.00 for a used adapter plate just rubs me the wrong way. Those other "go fund me" or whatever they're called backs using fingernail sized sensors just don't interest me. I saw a Nikon FE (or F2 ) modded to take a 20 MP Sony NEX which looked like something that would work for the Bronica. I'm hoping to do it for less than $150.00.
Can we see photos of your conversion journey. That would interest me.

Got it. Makes sense. I'd also like to see photos of the conversion journey. I also think you should do a thread about the Instax conversion and show us some pictures. I am a bit biased because I've got a thing for instant film :) but I also think it would be of interest to others on the site.

cost.

Do you use the flash sync to trigger the shutter on the conversions?

Can we see photos of your conversion journey. That would interest me.
I didn't document the conversion because I wasn't sure it would be successful. The reason I had a camera available in the first place was because I had been buying derelict instax mini cameras to repair and one was too far gone (circuit board problems). It isn't the most elegant thing to look at, but it has a dark slide and a switch to power it up when the slide is removed. The film plane offset was a problem until I shimmed the focus screen 1.6mm. Now infinity focus is correct.

cost.

Do you use the flash sync to trigger the shutter on the conversions?

No need. The Busch uses a Graphlex type focal plane lens. So I simply set it to time, set the aperture and shoot the Fuji as normal. Remember, if the camera has live view, it acts like a glass plate and you get your focus perfectly.

I showed this hack on a previous thread about a year and a half ago: here is Fuji on the Calumet:
But the Wildcat EOS adapter photos apparently were deleted by Imgur somehow.

I did a thread on Wildcating the EOS.

It works way better with a live view capable camera.

I didn't document the conversion because I wasn't sure it would be successful. The reason I had a camera available in the first place was because I had been buying derelict instax mini cameras to repair and one was too far gone (circuit board problems). It isn't the most elegant thing to look at, but it has a dark slide and a switch to power it up when the slide is removed. The film plane offset was a problem until I shimmed the focus screen 1.6mm. Now infinity focus is correct.

Given the negligible cost of taking images while doing the mod. This seems a flawed reason. I sometimes find reviewing/sharing shots on how I tried to do something like this can help find solutions when it doesn't work. I freely admit I don't document such efforts as often as I should, possibly in part because I can't stand camera phones.

Even without documentation of the conversion itself I'd love to see shots of the finished system.

I must try to document my own (very slow) progress on a digital camera - large format combination. After years thinking about options I actually spent a few hours starting construction - at the current rate of progress I'll need another 10 years to get it usable :dejection:

Some shots taken with the Instax Mini back on a Bronica ETRSi

Attachments

• simfB002.jpg
    simfB002.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 60
  • simfB003.jpg
    simfB003.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 53
  • simfB005.jpg
    simfB005.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 53
  • simfB006.jpg