Had a few minutes to play - C&C

EDL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Time has been my enemy the last month since getting my T3i. Have a lot of things picked out to shoot, just no time, but...tonight I had a few minutes, so set this up in like 2 minutes just to see what I could get. It's a 10"-11" figurine I bought my wife a while back. Don't laugh, but it's sitting on an orange/rust colored towel on the kitchen floor and the light is a cheap flashlight I was holding over my head from behind the camera. The camera was on a small table top tripod on the floor. I shot several in both shutter and aperture priority changing settings to see how they came out. I used the LCD due to the angle. This is the best of the lot I think. Wasn't sure about the crop, so here are two versions:

$Man&wife.jpg$Man&wife-2.jpg

That a very good shot, you nailed this. the first picture seems better for me.

Don't laugh, but it's sitting on an orange/rust colored towel on the kitchen floor and the light is a cheap flashlight I was holding over my head from behind the camera. The camera was on a small table top tripod on the floor.

Improvisation at its best. Just proves that sometimes you can do just as good using whats at your fingertips when you don't have the proper equipment with you. Nice job :thumbup:

Thanks guys!

This is my first ever try at a "staged" set up. Not award winning by any means, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I think the best part, for me anyway, is that there's no PP other than the crop. I shot in RAW, converted to JPG with the Canon software (no presets) and cropped it, that's it. I guess that's as close to "straight out of the camera" as I can get.

I like it a lot. I think the simplicity adds a lot to the photo. Isolates the characters, which makes the pose of the figurine seem more intimate. Or so it seems to me...

Thanks guys!

This is my first ever try at a "staged" set up. Not award winning by any means, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I think the best part, for me anyway, is that there's no PP other than the crop. I shot in RAW, converted to JPG with the Canon software (no presets) and cropped it, that's it. I guess that's as close to "straight out of the camera" as I can get.

It could do with a slight highlight adjustment. The leg of the man is just a bit distracting.

Other than that, I think you did great!

the light is a cheap flashlight I was holding over my head from behind the camera.

Amazingly good considering only one light. I like the composition, and the pool of light is very interesting. If you do this again, try cutting the shadows down some by experimenting with a second light source.

Pictures of someone else's art can be challenging (and sorta cheating), but I think you both captured the existing mood and altered it, and that- to me- is worthy of note.

Given the nature of the statues, though, I would ask... was the red intentional? It seems an interesting choice.

Thanks guys and gals. This is definitely one of those moments where you get the warm and fuzzy because you did something that someone thinks is good.

Jowensphoto, I definitely see what you mean. I'll see if I can tone that down some.

Manaheim, the rust colored towel was chosen for a very, very specific reason...it was there :mrgreen:

I literally went from sitting in my chair to "hey, it's a little late, but I'm gonna take some photos with my new camera if it kills me", looking up at the figurine and thinking "that'll do", looking over at the basket with the folded towels in it and grabbing that rust colored one, to plopping the towel on the floor, setting the figurine on it, to putting the camera on the tripod and grabbing the flash light in 5 minutes or less. I spent more time arranging the figurine on the towel trying to figure out how get it all in the frame and having the towel in the total view (I propped the back of the towel up on a step stool) than I did actually taking the pictures. I had no real intention of this looking even half decent and was more interested in just seeing what would happen and the effect of changing settings on the camera. I'm just thinking I got lucky because there was absolutely no skill or knowledge behind this at all.

Very nice work, and to think it done with a flashlight etc, awesome ingenuity.

I seem to look left to right, wish the main subject was on the left side, but that is just me.

Very Nice, Thank You

I'm just thinking I got lucky because there was absolutely no skill or knowledge behind this at all.

Just as we don't need to pump up your ego, you also don't need to put yourself down, either.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back