Had A Heart Attack Today.......

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by 480sparky, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    They overproduce on printers to the extreme. Which is why half the time you can get a new printer cheaper or near the cost of new ink. It's honestly quite nuts but they've got these factories churning out printers and they've got to keep selling the latest model.

2. bratkinson

bratkinson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Unfortunately, I've discovered the hard way that the newer the printer, the more 'fussy' it gets with generic, or even refilled cartridges. In most cases, my Epson R380 printers will reject 75% or more of the generic or refilled cartridges I've tried.

So, I've learned to shop for cartridges on ebay. Genuine Epson cartridges. I've recently found a seller in China that sells what I need at ridiculously low prices that barely covers the shipping charges from China! They work and I'm happy. I think I've used maybe 30 or so from that seller without a problem. I first 'tried him out' with an order for 2 cartridges and tested them. I received them in 2 weeks (New England, USA) and they worked fine.

The big trick to shopping on ebay is to narrow down the search so I don't get 50,000 results. I've tweaked the search parameters and am pretty happy with: epson r380 -(remanfacture, remanufactured, remanu, reman, refill, bulk, non-oem ,ciss ,bottles ,continuous ,compatible) That's as much as I could squeeze in the search box. It still gets more results than I want, but at least it's manageable.

3. CCericola

CCericola Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a laser printer for business. The toner on the last one I had lasted 3 years. When it finally got too low it was cheaper just to buy a new laser printer. no shipping via Amazon prime and voila!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    My dad once brought me a 'nearly new' Epson printer (unused but with no ink). When I checked the replacement costs for a set of six Epson inks was considerably more than the new cost of the printer. However I discovered their Inkjet printers are supplied with special low capacity cartridges, which means you don't get as much as you would with a full set of replacement inks. I couldn't justify the price of OEM inks so got some third party ones on line (something like £6 for a set rather than £87!). They worked reasonably so now the only time I use OEM inks is when a fault forces me to buy a new printer. My budget inks have often run out without warning half way through a page, but quality paper is not so expensive that I can't live with that disadvantage.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  5. GerryDavid

GerryDavid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a brother all in one inkjet printer for my model releases and contact forms, I pay like $1 a cartridge on amazon for their non name stuff. Works great for me. It does clog faster than the brand name stuff though, I dont use the colors that often and those clogged on me in no time. When I didnt use the printer for a couple of weeks during my move, I had to clean it out till it worked again.

I use to use a laser printer that you could refill yourself and that worked great until the drum got to dirty and the price to replace it was more than the printer itself, so I just went with inkjet. :)

All my photos get sent out to a pro lab, im not even touching that with a home printer for the price we pay the pro labs.

6. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    oh just write it off as an expense. It doesn't work out to very much once you amortise it over a eyar.

7. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Write-offs are fine. But one needs the cold, hard cash up front to spend in the first place.

So yestiddy, I punched up for a new printer.

8. unpopular

unpopular Been spending a lot of time on here!

two words: laser jet.

9. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Two more words : expensive and slow.

10. unpopular

unpopular Been spending a lot of time on here!

While the printer itself is more expensive, the ongoing cost is far, far less. One $90 05a cartridge will print around 2000 pages. Third-party cartridges are also available for a fraction the price, if non-OEM is your thing.

I have a printer similar to this one:

HP LaserJet P2035 Printer HP Official Store

There is a version intended more for consumers that actually will print a bit faster (closer to mine):

HP LaserJet Pro 400 Printer M401dne HP Official Store

"Slow" though isn't something I've heard to describe laserjet. Certainly you can get inkjet printers that can print as fast as a lower-cost laserjet. But I don't think you'll get one that prints faster, and I don't think it'd cost any less.

11. benp2k6

benp2k6 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

@480sparky - Yeah everyone is right laser is the way to go if you print at least 500 pages (one ream) a year. You mentioned "expensive and slow" but that is inkjet, not laser..

Generally speaking the more you spend on the printer the less you will spend on ink. A good $300-$400 laser jet is very fast and extremely efficient with ink. One I had, I swear I put 3,000 pages through it before it needed a new black. I choose not to print color very often for the sake of ink costs.