Had something really odd happen on my way home!

Light Artisan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After work I started my usual backroads journey home in hopes of capturing some remaining sunlight and my sought after pheasant shot of a lifetime.

Well, that didn't happen.

But I did have a weird feeling the whole way that 'something' was going to happen, but more like hitting a deer or a car accident kind of something.

All went as it usually does, pretty uneventful with the occasional 'oooh, I have to stop and get this sunset shot' moments... that is, until I stopped for a windmill photo as the sun was nearing it's final destination beyond the horizon.

As I'm pulled over the person who lives in the nearby farmhouse was backing out of his driveway, so I made sure to get out of his way - before I could even put it in drive he flashed his brights at me... I proceded to move over as he drove past.

I watched him drive away because something just wasn't right... he was swerving and driving irratically... Once he was in the distance I proceeded to back up to get another shot that I had noticed which was an old farm house scene with a windmill towering over it.

Well, the crazy driver turned around just as I had finished up my shot... as I drove off he swerved a little and slowed... I just kept on going by thinking he's probably drunk and forgot his beer.

Well he didn't forget his beer because before I knew it he was catching up to me. I got to a crossroad (we were on gravel, crossroad is a blacktop highway). I proceeded across the highway onto more gravel backroads as I usually do... sure enough, here he comes... closer, closer, closer, swerving, and now right on my tail.

One thing I don't deal with well is tailgaters, so I gave him a brake check and he backed off... I kept on going as he turned onto the next road, but I was still pretty beside myself as to what the heck his deal was so I pulled over and got out, I knew he was watching me so I threw my arms up in the air... sure enough, he turned around and came back, swerving the whole way.

I shut the door of my Suburban to prevent it from being broken off if he went by, but he came to a stop as I walked toward his car.

Of course my adrenaline is pumping, I have no idea who this guy is or what his intentions are - I'm not a small guy myself and have been in my share of 'situations', but this felt different.

As I walked up I couldn't see the person through his dusty windshield, but managed to ask in a loud and clear voice 'What the hell was that all about!?'

Then I saw him... sitting in his car, an old farmer - must have been in his 70's or 80's, but one of those guys that is probably tougher than nails and looked weathered. At this point however I knew it wasn't going to be a brawl, so I just listened.

Turns out the first time he thought I had broken down, the second time he thought I broke down again...

I said well thank you, but I thought you were angry at something I did.

He said well I might be... what were you doing?

So I told him I was taking pictures of the windmills and the sunset, then I said I'd drop one off for him some time.

He said "Really? I'd like that."

I patted him on the shoulder and told him to take good care of himself and we parted ways.

For what it's worth, I plan on giving him a print of the windmill and the sunset.

Wow, that's a cool story. Sending prints was a nice gesture.

that's awesome man you should get a picture of him.

Neat story :)

Would you mind sharing the pic of the windmill? I used to work for a manufacturer of them and would visit sites all over the US to see check on logistics issues. I have a ton of pics of windmills but would be curious to see yours.

Awesome shots. I have a small library of shots too. I tried to get a few from right at the base of the tower but you kind of lose the landscape feel to them.

The sunrise shot is particularly cool IMO. The slightest blur really adds to the shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back