What's new

Hai i iz knew hear (Yall hate meh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is by far the best recording forum in the world. Dozens of engineer/producers who are the cream of the crop post there daily. It's a fantastic resource.



P.S.

Be careful with Gearslutz.com. There is some good info there, but the signal to noise ratio is ridiculously low.
 
I'm so excited that you're here, haha. I went to school for Recording and have worked as an audio engineer off and on since graduation (how wonderfully steady the industry is, haha). And I have been trying to find a good community of people online, but I can't, for the life of me, find a good forum. Would you mind PMing me the forum and/or several others that you were referring to in your post?? :sillysmi:

I'm only responding here because some of what I will say applies to photography the same way it does to audio engineering.

I too went to Audio Engineering school once upon a time when I wanted to change career. I was not in a town with a lot of possibilities except for concert sound which I did for about 2 years before giving it up because it interfered with my paying business :D

Probably unlike you, through my photo I had good contacts in the industry and could easily have found work in a very good studio. I was actually planning to move to Europe to work at Peter Gabriel's place, the best studio at the time. And no, I was not going to be an engineer from the get go. I was going in as a gopher...

Thing is, I met a woman and I chose her and her kids over the music career. That was my choice and I don't regret it.

Now, you need to make that choice too. Career or whatever else is in your life. Allentown is not the best place to be for either photo or music. You need to do what it takes to get the career going and one of those is to move where those industries happen.

You also have to be willing to get in on the ground floor. Gopher in a recording studio or lowest assistant in a photo studio. Btw, I started as a war photog. After 12 years when I'd had enough of it and decided to go commercial, I assisted two photogs for about two years because I knew nothing of that world and I had to learn.

Yes, moving to New York, LA, or Nashville (or even out of country. Used to be that people wanting to get in the fashion photo biz went to Milan, Italy) with a job that pays peanuts is scary but it is a lot easier when you are young.

Again, I can only repeat myself here, you and anyone else wanting a career in one of those industries need to be willing to do what it takes. No, it's not easy but neither is a life spent at McDonald. And, let's be honest, this is true of just about any industry one can think of.

If this inspires just one member, I'll be happy.
 
:thumbup:


I don't want to get into personal things too much and if you don't want kids, that's your choice. But for those out there that either have kids or want them, they are not a deal breaker.

I grew up in a military family, lived in a lot of different countries and loved it. Not only that but I believe that exposure to different cultures has made me a better artist.
 
The internet might give great freedom to speak how you will, but I echo the advice above. The net is not just faceless words that don't mean anything; those who post are real live people and through them you can develop a lot of friendships, contacts, help etc.... that you might not otherwise get. You can talk to pros (be they amateur or earning) and get advice from some - heck this summer I am hoping to see if I can go shooting with some to further learn - something that without the net I would most certainly have to fork out a lot of money for on offical courses that might not be quite as tailoured to my needs


The only reason I got any better was when i stopped posting here, start posting at a site that was about as raw as it gets and they pretty much told my stuff was horrible and what i needed to start grasping to make it right.

Oneday we'll get you to start posting that latter part in your posts too when you give crits.

You wanna PM me the URL to that site? :mrgreen:

pffft if they all post like Jimmy (mostly) does at the moment then meh I wouldn't bother ;) Critical/insult is one thing; but construtive and informative input is quite another that is needed in order for the crits to have direction, focus and meaning. If its just insults/desirising then meh I'd get pretty bored of the place and just let my mum have a go ;)
 
Mexico

4512757448_2b7ab5cf2e.jpg


4512757666_b1a571a0b9.jpg


4512117471_6743e0cab7.jpg


4512758370_a1fc9f7c95.jpg


4512758726_5546af5620.jpg


4512118687_14e19d045f.jpg


4512120067_15db3d1784.jpg


4512761028_69bcc37b18.jpg


4512762312_fb448f12e4.jpg


4512122343_78f5dcb536.jpg


4512122855_e107a4ac44.jpg


4512763872_df69e24564.jpg


4512123565_d788d1e399.jpg


4512124457_d13e78e6fb.jpg


4512765626_749bd989a8.jpg


4512766718_d9255168fb.jpg


4512767034_41ef05d110.jpg


4512126945_fc23bcd1de.jpg


4512767986_61841d5f12.jpg


4512127473_632a7a4dfa.jpg


4512768948_7d3ec35ceb.jpg


4512769420_0675640c58.jpg


4512129043_bca93075dd.jpg


4512129403_3c7c9c6f0f.jpg


4512770694_b17e5f2a72.jpg


4512130657_c02e3863e9.jpg


4512772710_6f16148d82.jpg


4512772946_55ec25495a.jpg


4512133127_d30202bb8b.jpg


4512134241_eb54284679.jpg


4512135047_a88f3fd975.jpg


4512135331_d45a65ae9e.jpg


4512135457_3331613aeb.jpg


4512136233_2b2af0731a.jpg


4512136789_aea46651c6.jpg


4512136999_696e9127e7.jpg


4512778110_75c29d8649.jpg


4512778520_c563ec2d3d.jpg


4512780134_b3db60d76e.jpg


4512781958_2e81b9a8f4.jpg


4512142005_44be4de2e5.jpg


4512784826_160d725187.jpg


4512144727_bc4a53b08e.jpg


4512786796_2e04e75210.jpg


4512786996_a5a1928ec3.jpg


4512787310_da730eb976.jpg


4512147237_f379052398.jpg


4512788660_2c970f1445.jpg


4512789132_9245142e4d.jpg


4512789342_5abb73e98d.jpg


4512149115_2ff6170854.jpg

hahahah epic trolling ftw.
 
Hey don't laugh its true = she's the harshest critic I have and her lack of photography understanding makes her even harsher still (explaining the need for more than 200mm of lens for wildilfe still falls onto deaf ears - its big, expensive and white it should work is all she needs ;) )

hahahah epic trolling ftw.

:scratch:

I think he means himself for quoting that massive list of pics ;)
 
Anyone else notice the new title under his avatar?
 
hmm that's new!
I wonder if its a suspension or an all out perminant ban
 
Anyone else notice the new title under his avatar?

Awww :(

He's a prick but I thought he was super-entertaining and takes good pictures...

I'll miss him.
 
hmm that's new!
I wonder if its a suspension or an all out perminant ban

uh oh!!! What did he do????? I mean I've seen him be a smart ass here and there... but ... I mean I'm still a newbie so maybe I missed it, but I never noticed anything "ban-worthy"??????

Or is it because he posted so many pictures in one thread?

I suspect the action is the result of his generally offensive (sometimes very) and brisk manner with which he dishes out his comments on others work on the site.
Posting a lot of images in a single thread is not going ot earn you a ban unless you abuse it a lot to the extreme - but mostly its counter productive because more htan 5 images and most people won't give longer crits (if that is what you are after) since it takes far too long to write them well.
 
I didn't mean to be offensive to him by saying he's a prick. I was just 'calling him out' like he thanked poof for here. :greenpbl:
 
Howdy


I was banned for telling someone there sepia toned image looked like someone had urinated on it. As for the site I learned my shi t on, it was a bmx specific website with about 5 major photo guys and about 20 people who were brave enough to post there. Now im a moderator of the entire forum along with a few other guys. While asshole is the general theme of the website those who try and learn the right way to do things get rewarded with amazing crit on their photos.

Ill be back in 4 days...
 
Howdy


I was banned for telling someone there sepia toned image looked like someone had urinated on it. As for the site I learned my shi t on, it was a bmx specific website with about 5 major photo guys and about 20 people who were brave enough to post there. Now im a moderator of the entire forum along with a few other guys. While asshole is the general theme of the website those who try and learn the right way to do things get rewarded with amazing crit on their photos.

Ill be back in 4 days...

pwnd :-P
 
hehe that was fun to read nice photos bro cant way till you get back here and can you tell me more about that site?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom