Hand Grip for Canon 5D MkIII

ceejtank

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anyone found a hand grip for the 5D MkIII that they would recommend?

I don't want to use the neckstrap because I've been doing a lot of long exposure beach photography, and sometimes the wind kicks up and the neckstrap could cause some blur if I don't secure it. I know I could just remove it, but I'd like SOME type of security while holding the camera...

So I was looking for a hand grip. After looking at amazon, there are a few.. but they're all $20 or less.. so I'm kind of wondering if theyre any good since theyre so cheap. No Real bad reviews, most average a 4 star rating. Does anyone have one they use/would recommend? In case you were wondering what I'm talking about.. here's an example:

71Ycv5rMXML._SL1500_.jpg

From: Amazon.com eForCity Leather Hand Grip Strap Compatible with Nikon D5000 D5100 D7000 D90 Binocular Straps Camera Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
No? No hand-grippers?

I use a Canon E1 wrist strap, however it requires you to have a battery grip attached to the camera to fit.

They are cheap because there isn't a lot that goes into wrist straps and unlike some strap setups there is no extensive metal (the buckle bits are metal but they are very small) so very little to put the costs up.

On the strap from consider getting an OPTech next strap. They come on clips that let you unclip the bulk of the strap and then the two ends that remain on the camera clip together to keep them out of the way from dangling around. They work well and the clips, whilst made of plastic, are very tough (generally I'd say if you're swinging weight around that would break them then chances are you would NOT be able to swing it around without doing your neck in at the same time).

I use sling straps instead of hand-grips. But one of the nuisances (even of the sling straps) is the need to disconnect things and reconnect things when going from strap to tripod and back. It sort of ruins the whole point of a "quick" release plate when I actually have to attach and remove the plates (and there's nothing quick about that.)

So for anything to be considered, it has to have a plate. All my heads use Arca-Swiss type attachments.

I've noticed that the Cotton Carrier hand-strap and the Peak Design Clutch strap both seem to attach to the bottom of the camera using an Arca-Swiss compatible plate, which means you can put the camera on a tripod without having to remove the strap. And some of these straps are designed to completely detach from the camera rather quickly.

Awesome. Thanks for the replies guys. Ill do so more research on the suggested models above. Appreciate it

Most reactions

Back