Handle Mount and Shoe Mount Flashes....

EhJsNe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is the main difference other thant one is big and powerful and the other is reletively small and not quite as powerfull?

I just got some money today (had a garage sale) and made about 200 dollars...so I decided to get myself a flash....

I was thinking the Sb-600, but then I founf this: Sunpak | 622 Super Pro TTL Flash (w/o Head) | 0622S | B&H Photo and noticed the gude number was double that of the Sb-600....and its 20 dollars LESS than the SB-600!

Then I noticed it didnt have a head (which I dont get, theres 4 reviews on it saying its a great flash and none specificly say they have a head for it....I just dont get it...does anyone one it who could explain?) so I found this: Sunpak | 622 Super Pro-System TTL Handle Mount Flash | 0622SZ which is 250 dollars...not to bad...not much more than the SB-600....

Would anyone recomend me getting that flash? (Im pretty sure its not TTL, but I dont have a problem with manual)
Would it be good for sports? (Thats the biggest thing, I dont see why it wouldnt, it recycles in 11 seconds at full power...it probaly wouldnt take to long at 1/64th or 1/32nd)

My opinion is to stick to the flashes that are either solid brands (like Metz or Sigma), or keep to your camera manufacturer's flashes. At least then you know it comes with all the bells and whistles working properly, like iTTL. And in my experience, the recycle times are way better. With NiMH batteries in my 580EX IIs, they recycle at full power in 3 seconds.

My opinion is to stick to the flashes that are either solid brands (like Metz or Sigma), or keep to your camera manufacturer's flashes. At least then you know it comes with all the bells and whistles working properly, like iTTL. And in my experience, the recycle times are way better. With NiMH batteries in my 580EX IIs, they recycle at full power in 3 seconds.

I thought SunPak was a good brand....

My only problem with manufavturer flashes is that they are SOO expensive and for the same price ot cheaper I can get equal, if not better flashes...

Well the thing with recycle time...I have a Nikon...and cant afford the SB-900 (I would consider that a pretty good equiveltn to the 580 EX II)
I I just dont have 480 for a flash, Ill get 2 studio strobes for 500 dollars!

Thanks for the reply :p

Yeah, those flashes were damn pricey, I'll admit that. But still, meh, it's all just my opinion.

Yeah, those flashes were damn pricey, I'll admit that. But still, meh, it's all just my opinion.

Well Now im back to the "Why dont I get the WAY more powerfull one?" and hoping its good...because I wont have time to return it before I go to arizona....I think I may just get the SB-600 and for sports get the 70-200 f/2.8 VR (Hopefull Ill find a job after my acation.......) and use high ISO.....the SB-600 might help....but not much for football.....at least Ill be able to get on the sidelines for my school games....and I could get the shots where there not to far away.......
Why do all fast lenses have to be profesional and ridiculesly expensive!?

My only problem with manufavturer flashes is that they are SOO expensive and for the same price ot cheaper I can get equal, if not better flashes...
Your logic breaks down here. The less expensive gear is not equal or better. The Sunpak can't do eTTL so forget equal.

Power is relative to recycle time and 11 second is slooooooowwwwww.

The bottom line is you have to make some tradeoffs when you buy less expensive 3rd party gear to get that lower price.

You decide that for your purposes.

Your logic breaks down here. The less expensive gear is not equal or better. The Sunpak can't do eTTL so forget equal.

Power is relative to recycle time and 11 second is slooooooowwwwww.

The bottom line is you have to make some tradeoffs when you buy less expensive 3rd party gear to get that lower price.

You decide that for your purposes.

Thank you very much....something about what you said or the way you said it make it just click...Know Im wondering why I wanted the flash.....other than for the power......wow I feel stupid now....hopefully Ill find the time to get the sb-600 sometime tomorow! WOOT!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back