Hanging Out With Some Owls in the Swamp... & Others

matthewo

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Went to check out Four Holes Swamp during the good time of the year, and I must say it was pretty epic. I went a year or so ago when it was dead winter, and while its nice for landscape style photography, birding wasn't the greatest.

I will say spring and into early summer this place is hopping. The barred owls are thick in there. I saw probably 6-8, and 4 within shooting distance. 1 could care less about me and was maybe 20 feet away while me and another photographer were taking photos of him for about an hour.

here I will start off with the owl that could care less, and basically sat on a tree 15 feet off the boardwalk for hours.
1)
Mr Sleepy, I call him (yawn photographers again...)
mr_sleepy.jpg

2)
I think this is the female, probably my favorite clean shot of the day
barred3.jpg

3)
I saw her go down and grab this out of the water then fly very close to me and perch on this tree, I was stoaked at first because this was early in the day and I was very surprised the owl got this close to me.
barred1.jpg

4)
Then I found out why, and I was almost in shock that this happened right in front of me, I didn't even see the little guy until mom brought it food
babybarred1.jpg

5)
I terrible backlight in the swamp at mid afternoon, but my first baby barred owl
babybarred2.jpg

6)
another shot of the guy I was able to get very close to.
barred_owl2.jpg

7)
Don't forget me, a nesting prothonotary warbler. I watched her fly back and forth bringing material in her nest cavity in this cypress knee.
prowarbler1.jpg

8)
Snake on a log
snake1.jpg

9)
This squirrel had no other choice but to run right by me, as the tree in the swamp only allowed.
sq1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Absolutely amazing.

Mathew, this is a very nice set of images. I like the second one best of all.

WesternGuy

All fantastic shots and love the habitat as well with the trees and branches. Very nice shots. The Warbler is a stunning shot with the yellow and that profile, nice to see it poking its head out like that. Excellent shot.

All the best and fine work.

Danny.

Really really nice.

I love these!!! I was actually just researching this place last night and was thinking of taking a trip this weekend if the rain holds out! Might try to head there on Sunday, but might need to wait until the end of next week. I'm so excited to know that it'll be worth the trip!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Awesome set!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back