"Happy Hour" - C&C Please

If this was happy hour, just how ugly was the mood by chucking out time?

Matty-Bass said:
I'm not sure what to think of the composition on this one, feels more like a point-and-click. Nothing strikes me as the subject or focus, aside from the bar as a collective. Ceiling is a little too underexposed, loses most or all architectural detail. It appears to be a difficult room to expose evenly, may benefit from cropping the roof out a bit and bringing the focus on the customers?

Technically I agree with everything said. But for some reason or another I like this photo.

point and click...maybe...Nice vintage looking point and click? You bet. I like it :thumbup:

Those...

Not trying to bust your chops, but these types of photos depend upon being able to literally SEE, and read, and guess at, the expressions of the people in the shot. Without the ability to CLEALRY see the faces of the peple, we have to look at body language and big,broad gestures...we cannot literally "see" enought to "get" the feeling, the vibe, the details. For example, the woman on the far left of the frame in the top photo appears to be looking out a window, but in the latest crop,we see that she has a man to her left..he appears to be standing...she might have a name tag on...soooo...I guess she might be a waitress...what APPEARED to be a window in the top photo NOW appears to be a big,open doorway leading to another room, or more likely to an outside patio seating area. Again, not trying to bust ye olde chops Scuba...it's hard to say which shot I prefer since I cannot really SEE this picture. some shots simply do not translate well to being down-rezzed for the web...

This type of street photography image, with around 30 people in the frame (yeah, I counted 30 people before I gave up) just can not be fully appreciated at web size. For me, that sad fact is one of the single most-disappointing things about displaying photos on the web...we make these neat photos that look GREAT at 2,506 pixels wide, but which when down-rezzed just...sort of disintegrate into tiny pin-sized faces and stuff...

So, summing up--I do not know which of the two I prefer. The later 2x3 ratio crop adds a whole 'nother interaction, and what appears to be a second room, there on the left...in some ways I think it might be a fascinating interaction if the camera can SHOW us that woman's expression. But here, I dunno...both seem equally good. Now, if this were to be printed poster sized...

No worries you aren't busting my chops at all. I completely understand what you are saying about the size. I would love to post such a high res image to the web but I just worry then someone could certainly steal it and could even print it. I don't know how to allow full critique without essentially giving away my image. Not that it would cost me money as I don't sell anything at this time but it would just bug me to know someone could have my image printed on their wall if they wanted to. Any suggestions to get around this issue? Certainly I could plaster a huge watermark but that would defeat the purpose of showing the high res image and is obnoxious.

If this was happy hour, just how ugly was the mood by chucking out time?

I don't get it.

Matty-Bass said:
I'm not sure what to think of the composition on this one, feels more like a point-and-click. Nothing strikes me as the subject or focus, aside from the bar as a collective. Ceiling is a little too underexposed, loses most or all architectural detail. It appears to be a difficult room to expose evenly, may benefit from cropping the roof out a bit and bringing the focus on the customers?

Technically I agree with everything said. But for some reason or another I like this photo.

point and click...maybe...Nice vintage looking point and click? You bet. I like it :thumbup:

Those...

Fair enough. Thank you.

Most reactions

Back