What's new

Harley's, Stars, Birds, and a Dog.

bazooka

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
2,293
Reaction score
294
Location
Houston
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I spent a few days at my parent's house in Oklahoma and had some time to take a few shots.

I was packing "light" so I only brought two of my LP160 strobes. Had to make room for all those presents in my luggage, right? :) I knew I wanted to take some shots of Dad's bikes but with only two lights, what could I come up with? Here are a few from his shop building...


Workshop 2 by Tim Herschbach, on Flickr


Workshop 3 by Tim Herschbach, on Flickr

I also wanted to try some more bird shots. The hummingbirds are gone but there are still some colorful winter birds! I ordered a 300mm f/4 IS and had it sent to my parent's hoping to use it for these, but it didn't arrive in time... Adorama took 4 days to process the order. :( So I had to make-do with the 70-200 and the crop tool.


Male Cardinal by Tim Herschbach, on Flickr


Female American Goldfinch by Tim Herschbach, on Flickr

The first night there I braved the cold to try my hand at star photography. I'd never done it before so I learned several things. Most of all, manually focusing in the dark is a..... pain.


Stars 1 by Tim Herschbach, on Flickr


Stars 2 by Tim Herschbach, on Flickr

On the last day waiting outside for UPS to arrive with my 300mm, I got the lights out and took a few more shots.


Daisy by Tim Herschbach, on Flickr


American Craftsmanship by Tim Herschbach, on Flickr

The sun was making it's curtain call....


Live Free by Tim Herschbach, on Flickr

I hope you enjoyed these.
 
Nice work. I love the second shot and the last shot. Wish the second shot had a bit more space on the left side for visual comfort. Nice visual dynamic with the bouncing grinder spray, though. Good control over exposure. Is the last one an HDR?
 
Thanks for the comments macman. I see what you mean by space on the left for #2... I appreciate the feedback. The last one is not HDR.
 
I really like these! I don't even particularly 'like' motorcycles, but my favorites are the two with the motorcycle with the guy welding and the one with the flag. I also really like the cardinal pic. You are very good!
 
I love the last one. I also love the 2nd one but wish you included all of the reflection of the bike.
 
Thanks for the comments guys. I really appreciate it. Schwetty, I'll keep that in mind. I agree with you now that I look at it.
 
Actually all these images are classic; the fiery bike in the first almost looks like that in the Ghost Rider ;)
The Cardinal takes my heart, even though its placing in frame is questionable
The tree with a burnt sienna b/g is so lovely
You Daisy looks very smart
I liked the patriotic next and liked more the next. The sky here is really unbelievable; i was troubled when you denied any HDR involvement here

Regards :D
 
i was troubled when you denied any HDR involvement here

I'm sorry it troubles you. :) Thanks for the comments Freq. Always appreciated.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom