Has anyone ever been robbed or mugged while out shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsssRyne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just curious, has anyone ever been mugged or harassed while out shooting? I know everyone must feel some sense of caution when carrying around expensive equipment. If so would you care to share your story? How you handled the situation and what's the best thing to do.

In the short time I've had my camera I haven't been mugged nor harassed but I've always been weary of these situations. I don't live in the safest city and I'd like to get your opinions on the matter.

From the few times I've trekked through New Orleans I've encountered quite a few suspicious looking characters.

Never been mugged or harassed, but if you think NO gives you some shady looking characters. Try visiting Columbia or Nicaragua where you gear is worth more than several years of pay to folks there... If you keep your eyes open and stay aware of your surroundings you should do ok, and trust any gut feelings or little hairs raising that you get.

I haven't been mugged nor harassed (knock on wood). I try to avoid the bad part(s) of my town or just keep the camera and gears in my shoulder bag. I don't carry around my gear but only take it out when I see a potential shot.

Monopod with heavy ballhead makes a good club! And if there is a 4" rough ground (needle sharp) spike on the foot.. that works too! The good ol' whack and stab!

Of course, carrying a .40 works too....

What... me paranoid? Naaah...... ;)

(Disclaimer: any of the above can get you hurt or arrested.. or it may save your life! Or gear! Follow this advice at your own risk! lol! )

Last edited:
Haha awesome. Yeah knock on wood lol. Thanks for the advice people.

About two years ago I was walking with a group of friends at a festival and my idiot buddy was walking behind me with his iphone. Next thing I know he's screaming for help. Some hoodlum jumped on him trying to take his phone. I ended up tackling him to the ground and was about to start wailing on him until his friend punches me in the back of the head. I turn around to see who hit me and all I see is crowd of people just staring at me.

I saved my friends phone but the thugs got away. We go to tell the cops and they could care less. They did absolutely nothing even though they were about 30 feet away.

A bit off topic but it's kinda similar to getting your camera stolen. Lesson learned: watch your surroundings and be ready to beat the crap out of everyone trying to get your stuff. (just don't do anything too drastic). Ever since then I've kinda been paranoid about taking my camera certain places.

btw cgipson1 I like the whole monopod idea

I would love to take some nighttime city shots of Atlanta, but common sense just tells me not to take $3000 of gear out when we have an armed robbery on campus every month.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I try to stay very aware. Get a consealed weapons permit. I would much rather have a gun then not on me when possible. Of coarse never want to use it but in the south here nobody looks kindy towards robbers, and i have no criminal record, so i wouldnt think twice if the situation presented itself.

Problem is you really need to know its coming. A slick guy could probably grab your cam and run before you have time to grab your gun. And you cannot shoot somene fleeing :(

ICarry.jpg

matthewo said:
I try to stay very aware. Get a consealed weapons permit. I would much rather have a gun then not on me when possible. Of coarse never want to use it but in the south here nobody looks kindy towards robbers, and i have no criminal record, so i wouldnt think twice if the situation presented itself.

Problem is you really need to know its coming. A slick guy could probably grab your cam and run before you have time to grab your gun. And you cannot shoot somene fleeing :(

Supersonic death chop.

Martial arts master everyone should become.
-Yoda

I've never been robbed or mugged while out shooting but the thought has entered my mind since I do see gang graffiti at times in the forest preserves. When I carry my monopod I also think of it as a weapon. But I do have a story about what did happen just over one week ago: I took a trip to Tennessee leaving access to my house to my sixteen year old daughter. When I came home last Saturday I learned she decided to have a small party while pops was away. At this party some shady characters showed up and now I am minus one Nikon D80, a Tamron 90mm macro lens, a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens and a Nikon 18-200 lens. My daughter is minus one laptop and one Playstation 3. Fortunately I had with me another D80, my D7000, 180mm macro lens, 17-50 f/2.8 Tamron lens and my 70-300 lens along with my two SB600 speedlights and other equipment such as my ASUS laptop. Needless to say I was absolutely furious. I can live without the equipment that was stolen but that's not the point. I lost faith and trust in my daughter. But I do believe she has learned a valuable lesson. I know I have. I've already arranged to have a house sitter when I'm away.

Jerry

Something I often wonder is to what extent does being careful and cautious prevent being robbed or mugged. I like to think quite a bit, but I don't have a deep nor varied set of experiences. Thoughts?

Hint Hint: Black Rapid Strap! lol!

I regularly carry a legal limit fixed blade knife and a taser, and a hidden legal weapon of choice while I'm out shooting. Not only to protect from humans but from other mammals as well.

The thought has and does cross my mind when out and about here in my city or while traveling. Honestly the threat is higher here than it is in the 3rd world countries I've visited. Keep aware of your surroundings, a hand on your gear at all times and if push comes to shove better to lose your gear than your life. I also carry self-preservation equipment but I have insurance for my gear ;)

Aaaaah so that's why you're called sparky lol. Think living in the city gave me great insight on locations to shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back