Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...that SUCKLED on it's own tail? ALL THE TIME? And was it loud and slobbery?

I'm just trying to figure out if Smokey needs Kitty Therapy.

Ah Man, I thought this was going to be some kind of recipe........ I do so love to cook. :mrgreen:

actually it's funny because i have a cat that used to do that all the time, probably for the first 6 years. my cat Blue (yes he shares a name with a color/colour) used to suck on his tail constantly and it was always wet and cold and nasty when he would walk by becasue it would get stuck to my leg :confused:. he didnt like to be held and the only way to hold him would be to take him and hold him like a baby and give him his tail and he would be happy as could be.

he is a gray cat and because he sucked on the tip of his tail the very tip is now a brown :confused: :confused: :confused: i guess its cool because it makes him unique. he's actually pretty smart for an old fart (though he's not the oldest nor the smartest) so maybe sucking on his tail did him some good.

good luck

oh, i just remembered that we had talked to the vet about this and he said that it was probably because he was separated from his mother too early and the sucking resembled him sucking something else (use your imagination please)

Xmetal said:
Squirt him with the waterpistol everytime he does it, he'll learn not to do it after a while.

Hehehe...I've been doing thta with the other cat, trying to get her to stop scratching at the door at night when we're trying to sleep. (they aren't allowed in the bedroom cuz they'll keep us up all night). Funny thing is, she KNOWS she's gonna get squirted, but she still doesn't stop. She scratches at the door (very loudly, I wake up every time), and then listens for me to get out of bed...when she hears me (and lord knows I try to be as quiet as possible), she runs and hides, cuz she KNOWS what is coming. Damn cats.

he didnt like to be held and the only way to hold him would be to take him and hold him like a baby and give him his tail and he would be happy as could be.
:lol: That is so cute! In a weird, kitty-cat kind of way, I mean.

Corry, I don't think anything's wrong with Smokey other than he is very young and it's akin to a pacifier. If you don't want him to continue, you should try the squirt gun, but it may just be his "thing". :cat: :heart:

that's why I love my dog :) he cannot suck his tail :)
I have no idea what you should do Corry, but if you manage to take a photo of him sucking his tail just post it :)

Rename him Hickey and let him suck away if it gives him comfort. Just as long as he's not hurting himself or anything else, what's the harm really? :D

It's the same as kids that won't stop sucking their thumb, just an oral fixation that becomes habit. Spray some "no chew" on his/her tail. And sometimes the "no chew" stuff will work for the scratching at the door too as they'll not want the stuff on their paws. But then they just start meowing and then you have to resort to guarding your door with a plug-in the wall motion sensor and a noise maker of some sort. Lots of fun ;)

LilCujo said:
hmm wonder if that works on husbands :scratch:

A question that begs to be asked: what in the world is he sucking on? thumb? :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back