Have D800, Considering D750, Wondering What People Think

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I noticed the announcement of the D750 last night and I'm seriously considering selling the D800 and purchasing it. I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts.

The D800 is a nice camera, but I have never been happy with it. The 36MP is ridiculous. Handy on occasion, but more often unnecessary. I've never found it to be a great focuser, even once I got it fixed. It's ok, but my D300 still seems better.

I look at the D750 and I see some lessons learned from the D800/D4/D610, and improvements to match. Better ISO handling, focusing, etc.

My only concern is that the D610 was a little "toyish", and I worry that the D750 may be closer to that than the D800... and even than the D700... smaller grips, for one, but I wonder what else.

If I had the D810, I'd probably sit tight. But...

Anyway, again... wondering at your thoughts?

I wouldn't. The D800 is so much more camera than the D750. Sacrificing shutter speed at the high end, resolution ability, stronger more weather sealed body, more controls, larger viewfinder, etc. I wouldn't do it. I was worried before they released it that I'd regret getting my D800 a month ago, but I don't. I see it as a downgrade and would never make that move. But that's me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And what focusing mode do you use? I use AF-C D-21 almost exclusively and have never had an issue. When using auto or 3D? Nothing is in focus, haha.

Jake

No matter what, don't pre-order. You already have a fantastic workhorse camera, so you don't need to hurry and buy one from the first batch of shipments.
Wait for reviews. And even more importantly, wait for the camera to be available in a local store near you, to get a feel of it in your own hands.

Mannie, I can understand the frustration with the D800 and wanting another body because it has given you issues. But as I read your post, I thought of one thing. You said that if you had the D810, you'd probably stand pat. Well then why not get the D810 instead of the D750?

I mean, from what I'm reading and hearing, then you would have the latest, greatest, badest camera on the planet short of the D4/1D bodies.

The D750 is shaping into a decent camera, I really hope it does well but I'm in love with my D800. If I bought another camera, it would probably be a D810.

The D750 is a D610 with the Advanced Multi-CAM 3500 AF module, an EXPEED 4 image processor, and a tilt rear LCD.

The D750 is a D610 with the Advanced Multi-CAM 3500 AF module, an EXPEED 4 image processor, and a tilt rear LCD.

But. But. But. It has a 5 in the middle of it's name! That's a big deal!

Based on what I've read at the Nikon site, I think the D600 and D610 owners carping about the D750 being "nothing much" are going to be eating crow in a few months. To me, the D750 looks like the best value and the highest amount of technology available for $2299, from any maker. Besides the Expeed 4 processor, it also has a VERY good buffer in 12-bit NEF mode, which is what most people actually shoot, not 14-bit. For video, the AUTO ISO feature is going to eliminate the need for a ND fader filter all the damned time, and the ability to record uncompressed video to an external recorder is nice.SO is the really nice video control screen menu setup. It has the Highlight Priority light metering, which is NEW to Nikon, and will prove to be a big deal, and it has better autofocus than anything below it, or before it (it has the D4s and D810 AF upgrades). 24.3 MP is a very,very sweet spot, and allows 6.5 FPS with no battery grip needed. If this camera had been introduced two or three years ago, people would be raving about it, but basically, all the people who cannot afford a $2299 body are sour-grapes-talking it. It's a major advancement in Nikon's FX lineup. If more people could afford $2299 cameras, there would be a hell of a buzz about it.

This has been great, folks.

So, from what I'm seeing, if you're wanting an FX camera but on a bit more of a budget, the D750 is an awesome option. It's not really a D700 replacement, but it's likely a hell of a nice camera.

If you're someone running a D610 and want a v2.. it's also a good option.

If you're someone used to higher-end bodies looking for either the D700 refresh or an economical version of a D810, this isn't the one.

I'd like to go D810, but I can only get $2K for the D800 and the wifey will totally back me in a $300 upgrade, but will kill me in a $1200 one. :) (such is the plight of redirecting all my time from pro photography to writing) :)

From the specs it looks like the D750 is a D610, except Nikon upgraded the AF module, metering sensor, EXPEED image processor, video, and added a movable rear LCD - All for $300 more.

Note: Being an early adopter involves being an alpha tester for Nikon.

Sure, if you can afford it, and are really happy with 24 Megapixel ?

From the specs it looks like the D750 is a D610, except Nikon upgraded the AF module, metering sensor, EXPEED image processor, video, and added a movable rear LCD - All for $300 more.
Unless my memory is wrong, the price of the D610 when introduced was the same as the price of the D750 is now.

I'm happy with 24 megapixels and a 29-frame NEF buffer in the D3x. I get a big, bright, super-crisp and super-clear viewfinder that works with eyeglasses,and incredible battery life good for 2,000 frames, but at the expense of a HUGE,heavy, ostentatious looking camera. So to me, the D750 looks like a nice, small,light, fast-shooting 6.5 FPS half-height body. I think 24.3 million effective pixels out of the 25 million pixel total sensor count is amply high resolution. One question I have: how well does this newest 24.43 MP camera's sensor perform? Is this perhaps a new, different sensor than the one in the D600 and D610? Does it also have the NEW high-ISO gain routines that the D810 has, designed to get LOWER NOISE at the extreme ISO values, the way the D810 can achieve? I saw the Nikon, Canada presentation of the D810 video lectures, and it looks to me that the new high-ISO gain routines that Thom Hogan mentioned, and which Nikon mentioned, have actually made a significant, and easily-seen improvement in the usability of the three highest ISO settings on the D810. I guess what I am wondering is, is this a "new" 24-MP sensor, or does it represent a new generation of electronics for the same, older, proven 24.3 MP Sony sensor? This might actually be a notable step-up from the D600 and D610.

Based on what I've read at the Nikon site, I think the D600 and D610 owners carping about the D750 being "nothing much" are going to be eating crow in a few months. To me, the D750 looks like the best value and the highest amount of technology available for $2299, from any maker. Besides the Expeed 4 processor, it also has a VERY good buffer in 12-bit NEF mode, which is what most people actually shoot, not 14-bit. For video, the AUTO ISO feature is going to eliminate the need for a ND fader filter all the damned time, and the ability to record uncompressed video to an external recorder is nice.SO is the really nice video control screen menu setup. It has the Highlight Priority light metering, which is NEW to Nikon, and will prove to be a big deal, and it has better autofocus than anything below it, or before it (it has the D4s and D810 AF upgrades). 24.3 MP is a very,very sweet spot, and allows 6.5 FPS with no battery grip needed. If this camera had been introduced two or three years ago, people would be raving about it, but basically, all the people who cannot afford a $2299 body are sour-grapes-talking it. It's a major advancement in Nikon's FX lineup. If more people could afford $2299 cameras, there would be a hell of a buzz about it.

So Derrel - I have the D700. I love my D700. If and when I upgrade which should I aim for - given I can afford the D810. AND for thought let's say I upgrade in 6 months, enough to hear about any bugs in the D750

I shoot infants; seniors; families NOT weddings...

oh and sport's events

Most reactions

New Topics

Back