Have I bought the wrong camera?

I have the Nikon D5100 and my paper manual is the same way but there is a CD (that came with mine) called the Reference guide or something like that. The CD is the entire manual and is much more in depth and helpful. Check it out if you have the CD. My CD manual amounts to almost 300 pages!!

Hi, thanks for that, just found the CD and now printing off the proper manual, on about 200 a4 pages so far and still going. That should keep me entertained for a while!! Should have thought of that to be honest, completely forgot about the CD! :)

Thanks for all the links aswell guys, much appreciated.

Darn, just ran out of ink!!!

Hi Guys,

So its day 3 and I took all your advice and looked at lighting techniques etc..and also going through my manual properly.

Thought I would upload a few pics I've taken to get your feedback?

Criticism always welcome.

Thanks

Mike

balancing walnuts
6047048008_6c6254fa5e_b.jpg

walnut whip
6047050040_e0183139a9_b.jpg

single walnut
6046499381_da4aa2e63b_b.jpg

Last edited:
Now to add to the confusion camera makers decided to make a larger aperture the smaller number and the larger aperture the smaller smaller number.

Actually, it's not. The reason it is written, for example, f/2.8 is because this is a ratio of the focal length to the diameter of the pupil. If you remove the variable 'f', it is still 1/2.8 (not just 2.8) which is a larger number than say 1/5.6

You are better off starting a new thread to show pics

3100 is an AWESOME entry level dslr. it takes very crisp pictures but its not magic. you need to be patient and go test you camera more. you'll get it but not overnight. also careful with the clicks. true with digital you can take more pictures but you can wear a motor out still.

I have the Nikon D5100 and my paper manual is the same way but there is a CD (that came with mine) called the Reference guide or something like that. The CD is the entire manual and is much more in depth and helpful. Check it out if you have the CD. My CD manual amounts to almost 300 pages!!

Hi, thanks for that, just found the CD and now printing off the proper manual, on about 200 a4 pages so far and still going. That should keep me entertained for a while!! Should have thought of that to be honest, completely forgot about the CD! :)

Thanks for all the links aswell guys, much appreciated.

Darn, just ran out of ink!!!

you went digital with your camera. go digital with your manual too. stop killing trees!!!!!!!!!

Ok great, ill think about the trees...but what do you think of my photos? :)

honestly, there still pretty crappy. the walnuts are way over exposed. looks like you hit them with flash and too high a exposure. try just taking a portrait of a friend, we like to see pretty girls on here if you need a suggestion of which friend. youll get better feed back that way. but trust me, be patient. even with the best of cameras you need time to figure out how to use it.

to put it a simple way, you cant rock a hendrix solo if your still earning to play smoke on the water.

Nikon D3100
0.017 sec (1/60)
f/29.0
55 mm
+1 EV
On, Return detected

Your aperture was very small, and letting in next to no light. You have your ISO set to what I would guess is the maximum for your camera model. Exposure compensation was up by +1, overexposing your shot by 1 whole stop. Your direct pop up flash fired at your subject that I would imagine was on a white background. Your shutter speed was not adequate for the focal length you were using, 1/60s will not cut it for 55mm on a crop frame camera, unless you were using VR. Your shutter speed should always be at least 1/focal length when shooting handheld. Depending on the focal length, the 'save zone' on a DX camera is often a few stops faster than it would equate to.

Just some stuff to think about.

PS. IDK WTF happened with the table and all that jazz.

Now to add to the confusion camera makers decided to make a larger aperture the smaller number and the larger aperture the smaller smaller number.

Actually, it's not. The reason it is written, for example, f/2.8 is because this is a ratio of the focal length to the diameter of the pupil. If you remove the variable 'f', it is still 1/2.8 (not just 2.8) which is a larger number than say 1/5.6
Or stated another way f/2.8 is a fraction and being a fraction, f/2.8 is a bigger number (close to 1/3), than f/8 (or 1/8).

wow, thats crazy, 900 photos in less than 2 days... you've really gotta calm down ;p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back