Have it narrowed down to these lenses...nees input

mckinj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I am brand new to this and have been reading and researching on which lenses I want to get. I live way up in the arctic and have a lot of both wildlife and scenery that I would love to photograph. Up here you need to have hobbies and this is now mine. I have a new rebel xti and I am looking at the following lenses and would like some input (guidence) on which are both quailty and properly priced

Wide angle

Canon EF 28mm F/1.8 USM

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

Zoom/Telephoto

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Canon EF 70-300 F/4-5.6 IS USM

If there is a lense that I have not mentioned let me know...also I am looking to try my hand at photographing some northern lights. Any tips are more than welcome

Thanks
Jamie

Wildlife photography? The answer is easy... get the longest lens you can. In your case, the 70-300 is the longest in your list... however I would tend to go for something faster.

Something in a 70-200 F/2.8 and a 1.5-2.0 teleconverter will do you justice up there in the great white north.

If you have a less than full frame sensor then i would avoid the 28mm wide angle prime although its prob a very nice lens. The 10-22 would suit a digital rebel better i think. Sigma also do a 10-20mm lens which is supposed to be excellent. It may be cheaper than the Canon too.

Sounds like a great place to be! So whereabout do you live exactly? Make sure to post lots of images on here :)

Wide angle

Canon EF 28mm F/1.8 USM

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

Zoom/Telephoto

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Canon EF 70-300 F/4-5.6 IS USM

I did arktic hiking some years ago with the 28mm f/1.8 and the 50mm f/1.4 only. This was a great combination on 35mm format. Although the 50mm was a bis short for the shy kind of wildlife.

however, this was on 35mm ... on an aps-c sensor with its crop factor the 28mm will not be wide enough in many cases.

My suggestion would be a wide zoom like the one you mentioned, or the Sigma equivalent. Then you could have a 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 depending on your budget and maybe a 300mm f/4 L prime if you can afford (maybe plus a kenko teleconverter). not a cheap solution, but a rather versatile and not too heavy. And with the 50mm you would really have something for low light and shallow DOF, which would be long enough for the slow or less shy wildlife ;).

Well I am in Inuvik, North West Territories Canada...it is nice and a lot of beautiful scenery and wildlife so why not take up photography. I do already have the 50mm 1.8 so now just looking to get a couple more nice lenses to be versitile.

well, we are certainly looking forward to see first images :)

too late over here.. cannot spell anymore ;)

How about the Sigma 70-300 Macro? Heard lots of good things about it..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back