Have two 40Ds want to upgrade: 5D, 7D or 1D MKIIn?

dracalud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey All,
I am a newbie to DSLR photography. Started taking pics of my son playing paintball. Got advice from one of the top paintball photographers. On his advice, I got the 40D with 70-200mm 2.8 lens. Now, almost a year later, I have two 40D bodies and have added some awesome lenses. I am also starting to shoot portraits, headshots, fashion, and events. Would love to start shooting weddings. I also do indoor sports, theater performances, concerts etc. Though I started shooting 90% paintball and 10% other stuff - now I shoot 50% paintball and 50% other stuff.
Ideally, I am thinking about upgrading one of my 40D bodies and keeping the other as a backup to whatever I buy.
OH - and I have the following lenses: 16-35mm mkII, 50mm 1.8, 24-70mm L, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 70-200mm 2.8 (my fave!) and a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye (on the way ) - seemed like a fun lens to have for paintball!
I need your expert help and advice. Here are my questions:
Should I buy a friend's 5D classic for $1100 and keep both 40Ds?
Should I buy a used 1D MK IIn and keep one 40D as back up?
Should I buy a 7D and keep one 40D as a back up?
Just keep my double 40D set up for now and save for my son's college? : )
I welcome and appreciate any and ALL advice, suggestions, etc.
Thanks so much for your help.

I came from two 40ds.. Recommend the 5dmkii.. It's great lowlight, image quality blows away the 40d, n the full frame sensor makes crop shots more usable. Problem I'll have it's lacking as a sports camera, not fast enough, and ai servo on the 5d is not the greatest, camera is perfect for weddings. Gl buying

I would suggest getting a full frame body, like your buddy's 5D classic, so that you will have the kind of framing choices,working distances, and depth of field behavior that FF d-slrs are known for. The 5D classic makes nice images,and the price of $1,100 is fair I think, as long as the camera has not been shot really heavily. Your current lens collection is well-suited to a FF body.

Hi guys!

WOW, thanks for all the great suggestions and advice. I would like to spend around $1000 or less on either upgrading or adding to my camera body arsenal. I wish that I had the bank to unload on a 5D MKII. Wouldn't that be a great one to have! I'll have to save up for that.

I welcome more advice! Thanks everyone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back