have you heard of this technique before???

rusty9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
my dad and i were talking about product photography, and he told me of this technique he used sometimes. he says he set up his camera and subject in a completely dark room. he set his shutter speed to maybe 1-2 secs. while the picture was being taken, he "washed" the photo with a light source. he says it eliminated shadows. have you heard of this technique before? i'm going to give it a go sometime and post my results.

It sounds like the technique sometimes called "painting with light." Google-images that phrase to get many creative examples.

painting with light isn't really what i'm talking about. i talking about a subject in pitch black darkness. then you go over the subject with a continuous light to expose the subject, not create a creative subject

I believe it's called light painting. If you search for this, it seems most cases you'll see are people drawing designs with an LED or similar small-point light with really long shutter speed, but you can find some very interesting scenes that have been painted with the technique you described. Particularly night landscape and city scape.

I believe it's called light painting. If you search for this, it seems most cases you'll see are people drawing designs with an LED or similar small-point light with really long shutter speed

i know what this is...it's not what i'm talking about

that link that benlonghair posted is pretty close to what i'm talking about

There was a machine made for this a number of years ago, called the Hose Master. I
consider this darkened room method to be light painting

no. you have like a scene set up in a closet or other darkroom. then you take a lamp or something similar and go over every thing inside the frame of the picture. this will expose the shot. i'm not talking about writing words on a brick wall with a laser light.

ugh...i give up. just close this thread.

Going over objects so that they are exposed in dark conditions IS a form of light painting.
That is you answer unless you can explain it differently.

Writting words with a laser pen is not just what painting with light means.

no. you have like a scene set up in a closet or other darkroom. then you take a lamp or something similar and go over every thing inside the frame of the picture. this will expose the shot. i'm not talking about writing words on a brick wall with a laser light.

ugh...i give up. just close this thread.

LOL!!!!!

you ask people a question then you get upset because they answers what it is?

if there is no light source and then you open the shutter and use light to light up your subject. no matter if you use a flash light, or you light up the whole room with stobes, its a form of light painting.

Going over objects so that they are exposed in dark conditions IS a form of light painting.
That is you answer unless you can explain it differently.

Writting words with a laser pen is not just what painting with light means.

thanks. i was just being hard headed i guess. :oops:

Hosemaster light brush - Painting with light: Lighting Technique Forum: Digital Photography Review

Hosemaster...it was a very popular, high-end light painting machine that top commercial/fashion/product professionals used to use in the 1990's. The machines still turn up for sale on e-Bay occasionally, or through high-end resellers like Lens & Repro on B&H, Adorama, Calumet Photo,etc.

I used to do night-time light-painting outdoors, using Kodachrome 64 film, at f/8,sometimes at f/5.6, tripod-mounting my camera, and then "painting" urban landscapes with 10,15,20,30 "pops" from a Vivitar 285HV flash that I powered from a Quantum Turbo battery. It's possible to set the camera up and "paint" the front of a very large building with overlapping pops of flash, walking around the scene and aiming the flash at the various elements from different positions, so the lighting is even. Using slow speed film, like 64 ISO, allows plenty of time to leave the shutter open, and reduces the critical nature of each pop of flash.

There are some landscape shooters who use LED and/or regular flash lights + starlight and or moonlight to "paint" large landscape features using hours-long night time exposures. In commercial/product photography, there are times when I have heard of photographers using the flash units' modeling lamps to "burn in" and add some light by using a very slow or long shutter speed, or slowing the shutter down to "pick up ambient tungsten" from table lamps or other lamps in a photo, to give a warmer feeling and warmer color balance to a scene.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back