Have you noticed the increase # of ppl with dSLR cameras?

a1157814a

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I don't know if it is just me, but when I go to places like the sporting events, the beach, and just like... other cool places, I've seen so many more people with dSLR cameras then few years back. (maybe because they have become more affordable? or it's just gaining popularity?) Most of them just seem to be taking snapshots though.

Yes, it is about lower price and marketing.

Film SLR's used to be very expensive ... then manufacture's started producing budget SLR's so that the average person could afford it ... and most importantly ... use them (remember the Canon AE-1P commercials with Stevie Wonder).

I live in a somewhat more afluent community than average, so it's gotten REALLY bad here. They're like gnats. I went to a local memorial day parade thing and I swear every third person had one... and I even saw quite a few of the higher end ones.

I live in a somewhat more afluent community than average, so it's gotten REALLY bad here. They're like gnats. I went to a local memorial day parade thing and I swear every third person had one... and I even saw quite a few of the higher end ones.

Lol, I know right. Some of those people should just get a higher end P&S because they're just as good if they are just gonna shoot it on AUTO for every picture.. lol

Last edited:
what I sometimes do is just look what their camera is set to, most likely AUTO lol. And than I see them staring at me taking pictures and trying to shhot the same thing. And when they try to shoot it they look at their screen and not their head and see their fingers going to the delete button. lol

Hmm, I shoot in Auto ... and I also secretly shoot what you do ... hmmm.:mrgreen:

( I delete when I get home ):lol:

what I sometimes do is just look what their camera is set to, most likely AUTO lol. And than I see them staring at me taking pictures and trying to shhot the same thing. And when they try to shoot it they look at their screen and not their head and see their fingers going to the delete button. lol
lmao..it happens to me at the mall, on my lunch break i like to walk around and just randomly shoot **** and i see EVERYONE has an SLR around their necks, and a fanny pack. lmao

I don't go to malls lol. I should make them look at me through their viewfinders and I'll have my 70-300 on at 300 and just stare back at them without movin. They'll probobly just leave lol

This is why carrying a manual 35mm SLR in these situations is fun. No one notices you, or the people who do scoff at you because their D300 with 18-55mm kit lens has zoom AND automatic mode (I must just be a moron, right?).

If you really want to fly under the poseur radar, grab a TLR. Or a Holga. You'll get more interesting pictures than the DSLR yuppies anyway.

I am from Chattanooga, and fluently commute between Here (Atlanta) and there, and between the two cities, I know of 9 people who have dSLR's. The D40 seems to be the most popular among all of them. 5 of them own D40's, 2 (including myself) own D60's, one owns a D300, and One owns a D50.

It's amazing, I am always the subject of conversation when I go out. Lots of people ask me questions about the camera.

So let me get this right you all think that you have to be at a certain level before you can buy a DSLR . What gives you all the right to judge other people I garantee none of you are pro's or even semi pro yet you people make me laugh...................:lmao:

Like what was said above, what's happening now is the same thing that happened with the film cameras. More people are using SLR's because people are seeing that point and shoots cannot do low light or shoot fast, and the fact that you can get a D40, and 55-200 for under $500, makes it cheaper then a 5x zoom canon G10, and even though the G10 is 14mp, the D40's 6 blows them away any day of the week.

So let me get this right you all think that you have to be at a certain level before you can buy a DSLR . What gives you all the right to judge other people I garantee none of you are pro's or even semi pro yet you people make me laugh...................:lmao:
Well I don't consider myself a pro but I bought a dSLR to have more control over my camera, since my P&S was limiting me with that. As the people buing dSLR's if you read my previous post, they shoot in AUTO, which the last time I checked doesn't give me any controll of the camera except the shutter. YOu don't have to be at a certain level to buy a DSLR but when you buy it you should know why you are buying it, and make sure its not because you saw people that have dslr's have nice pictures. It's all about technique. should I go on?

I've posted this before, but I could hardly spell DSLR when we went to replace our camera, let alone know what it was.

Our pictures were always blurry because of motion blur. I told the salesman, as my daughter was going crazy and running around in circles (safely attached to the wife's hand, of course), "I want to be able to take pictures of that."

And $1000 lighter with kit lens and carrying case in hand, we were all of a sudden shooting images with 100 times the clarity that we ever got... in auto mode.

I look back on those photos now and they're terrible compared to what I'm capable of in all of the manual and semi-auto modes, but going back over the pictures in the years before that, they're still light years ahead.

Because my wife sometimes finds the DSLR a bit daunting, I bought her a really nice point and shoot -- image stabilized, more MP than our DSLR, etc. On it's best day in any mode even with me driving it, it still can't grab images as nice as I can get with the DSLR in auto mode.

If someone's got the money to spend and they enjoy the result, then more power to them.

I don't suppose everyone sitting around with a web browser and a copy of photoshop can write in x86 assembly, either. :)

Most reactions

Back