Have you noticed the increase # of ppl with dSLR cameras?

I bought a 5D MKII $ Canon 24-70 f/2.8L to take pictures of Frank's Red Hot Slim Jim rip off...

Really awesome D.O.F. in the last shot. I really like how the infocus area just slightly includes the upside down franks lettering.

question: did you shoot this in the sports-auto or the landscape?

picture 2 : I don't like it.... and I can't explain why.... It just doesn't speak to me... doesn't feel right..

great job on #3 though!

wow VI...your DOF there really works....and now im craving overly salted processed meats :D

I bought a 5D MKII $ Canon 24-70 f/2.8L to take pictures of Frank's Red Hot Slim Jim rip off...

hmm looks like mission complete :)
now since the poor camera will get loanly left all alone mail it over to me with the lens - I promise to take it on walks and give it the proper attention it needs..

interestingly why do these threads always occur when I am asleep?

Lol, if anyone tries to out muscle me in a sporting event (by taking pictures in a particularly good spot). I'll bring out my big ass 600mm lens and they all just back away.

Really awesome D.O.F. in the last shot. I really like how the infocus area just slightly includes the upside down franks lettering.

question: did you shoot this in the sports-auto or the landscape?

picture 2 : I don't like it.... and I can't explain why.... It just doesn't speak to me... doesn't feel right..

great job on #3 though!

It was in manual. I was going to use the green box, but I forgot how to. I even used a flash!

It was definitely speaking to me afterwards. It was saying let me out! Let me out!

wow VI...your DOF there really works....and now im craving overly salted processed meats :D

I'd rather have overly salted and vinegared proceed meats, but I got Frank's meat because well, it's Frank's.

hmm looks like mission complete :)
now since the poor camera will get loanly left all alone mail it over to me with the lens - I promise to take it on walks and give it the proper attention it needs..

interestingly why do these threads always occur when I am asleep?

Actually, I'm going big time here...I'm thinking about fixing instant ramen for dinner and photographing it. I might even add a boiled egg. And lots and lots of cheap vodka. On the side.

Pt. 2. Noobs don't sleep.

Lol, if anyone tries to out muscle me in a sporting event (by taking pictures in a particularly good spot). I'll bring out my big ass 600mm lens and they all just back away.

Ohhhhhhhh, aren't you frickin' special. We don't care. We care about processed meats, ramen, boiled eggs, and vodka, not your lens. If anyone tried to out muscle me at a sporting event with a 600mm lens, I'll make them test out how good their insurance is.

Ever had a flat tire while trying to walk up the side line?

so what if someone is shooting in auto? maybe they're just beginning and trying to find out what the camera thinks they should do. then maybe the next time you see them, they'll be shooting in shutter priority, the next time in aperture, then the next full manual?

I gotta say, being a person who bought a DSLR purely based on the fact that my friend took great pictures with his, that this thread was pretty disappointing...

Isn't that why you buy a DSLR? because you want to take better pictures? I'm pretty sure it's not because they wanted something heavier and bulkier than their point and shoot. I saw results in my friend's pictures and I wanted to be able to take pictures like that. I couldn't get the DOF he had in his pictures so I bought the DSLR.

the best thing about this is that...camera's will get cheaper...the reason that i finally got one also...

most people i know that have dslr's have it in Auto, shoot with Live view, and the camera spends most of it's time in a bag in their house sleeping...but that's their choice and who am i to tell them what they should do?

So let me get this right you all think that you have to be at a certain level before you can buy a DSLR . What gives you all the right to judge other people I garantee none of you are pro's or even semi pro yet you people make me laugh...................:lmao:

Actually, I sort of think the opposite. Anyone can use a DSLR, be it a D40 or 5D. Many people can afford them as well. I "garantee" that the "pro's" here use whatever works for their shooting situation, whether it's a D70, a 1D, or a medium format film camera (gasp!).

There are many professional photographers whose work I don't find all that impressive, and many amateurs I find more impressive. Being a "pro" doesn't make you good. It just means it makes you money.

Enjoy your laughter though. You are definitely better than everyone else (except "pro's").

the best thing about this is that...camera's will get cheaper...the reason that i finally got one also...

til you factor in the recession :(
prices are all rising in the UK - and set to rise some more
worst is its all in % so expensive stuff gets way more expensive

Joe Buissink says the "P" in P mode stands for "Professional", and he uses it all the time. I'm a fan of M and Av myself, but since Joe Buissink will make several thousand times more money in photography this year than I will in my entire life I'll defer to his expertise! ;) There's no shame in auto-modes as long as the photos are good.

http://www.joebuissink.com/

i think people bag on new dslr owners (and their recent surge), because they feel threatened by it, and feel they need to secure their own place in this photography world...and what does human nature have us do to secure that spot? put down others...

fact of the matter is there is room for all of us in this hobby world. Most people I see with the dslr in auto are people that either just wanted the best pics they can get and blindly thought more megapixels and higher dollar amount is a good way of insuring you get that, or people have been sold it by salesmen at the store. There are also people who just need the latest IN thing in electronics, or people who just love having things to show it off.

These people dont threaten me because I don't think that way, BUT if I did think that way, they still wouldnt threaten me because fact of the matter is 90% (picking numbers out of my butt to make a point, not an official number) of the people who will buy a dslr won't EVER make it past auto, or the other auto modes, and wont EVER progress past the "noob" level. It takes a LOT of work, research, and learning to get better in photography, and most people just dont think its important enough to dedicate themselves to.

They may think the dslr automatically makes them a amateur photographer, but they soon realize, that its not the camera when they try to take portraits of their kids (without any knowledge of lighting and posing, and composition) and their photos look nothing like the walmart portraits they were hoping to copy. They learn quick that its not the camera when their landscape shots are getting blown out, lack definition, or tack sharpness, or dramatic lighting. Most of them wont get up at 6-7am just to catch a sunrise, or to shoot in the "golden hour". Most of them won't progress past the kit lens, and won't ever understand paying crazy amounts of money for better glass.

THESE are the things that separate a "dslr owner" from a "photographer", not whether or not they have the camera....the camera is just a TOOL. If you dont know how to fully utilize it, and know its limitations, you're not threatening anyones place in photography.

I remember when my wifes best friend saw some of my pictures, and she was so impressed with the pics, and she said..

"WOW, those are awesome pictures, that is a great camera..i wish i could afford one of those cameras so i can take pictures just like that.it must be easy with one of those cameras huh?"

and i got the pleasure of saying

"All the camera did was take the picture, I did everything else"

I got

"huh?" as a response :p

Sorta related:

We met a photographer at the resort in Cuba doing a shoot for new brochures who I expected came from Canada as he spoke English like us & so did his assistant. Also, he had very expensive & numerous Canon equipment. Wrong! He was Cuban, a research scientist looking for a cure for cancer & nearing retirement & taking up photography as a hobby & future career. His assistant was his youngest son, a composer, his older son an illustrator & his wife a ballerina. He gave us his e- mail & web-site addresses. Talking to a couple of the staff @ the resort they said it was impossible in Cuba to have internet & did not believe it to be true.

Somebody tried doing that to me last year, I was at a college soccer match with my little bitty kit lens and some guy set up next to me with his huge Canon lens.

When my teenage daughter asked me why he needed such a big lens I told her it was for the same reason people drive full size dually trucks - the need to compensate for something. :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back