Haven't quite ironed out the wrinkles...

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
But, this is my plan for when I get out of high school:
Take my camera, some lenses, a bunch of batteries, a journal, and $100 and leave. Just get up, and go. I want to just travel around, taking pictures and writing down my adventures and see where this crazy world takes me. I want to live spontaneously, and perhaps, stupidly. I just want to get out there and experience things I would never experience otherwise, you know, if I weren't walking around with barely any money and only a camera. And then, when I feel I learned something life-changing, I'll return home with $101, some pictures, a full journal, and a new life ahead of me. That's the plan at least.

Sounds like a plan.

I just figure, there's not really a better time to do it than right after high school. I'll have no responsibilities beyond myself, no family to worry about except the one that raised me, no taxes or mortgages or rent or whatever. I'll just drift around for a while and see what I experience, see what I learn, see what I, well, see. And hopefully document it well in picture and word form. It's kind of a stupid and risky thing to do, but I really don't care. I've one life to live, and I'm not gonna just talk about living it to the fullest and living spontaneously, I'm actually gonna grow a pair (maybe a stupid pair), and go do it.

Sounds like you'll starve to death!!! J/K. Take care on your adventures!

HAHA, I might starve, who knows. I've still got a year and a half of high school before I take off. I just figured I'd throw the plan out there ahead of time, you know, attempt to put a bit of thought into this. It is, after all, my life, so I should probably take some care to not lose it.

HAHA, I might starve, who knows. I've still got a year and a half of high school before I take off. I just figured I'd throw the plan out there ahead of time, you know, attempt to put a bit of thought into this. It is, after all, my life, so I should probably take some care to not lose it.

I did pretty much the same thing. Ended up traveling all over the world. There is no better time to do it than now. Pack light, get some of that high tech breathable underwear( it can be washed over and over). Go west my son.

I did pretty much the same thing. Ended up traveling all over the world. There is no better time to do it than now. Pack light, get some of that high tech breathable underwear( it can be washed over and over). Go west my son.

Would you say it was worth it?

How long were you gone?

How did you make money?

cuz, lets be realistic here. Your passport is atleast going to cost 100 bucks... And unless you are stealing for food, it doesnt sound logical. Not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to inject a little reality. There is a name for this type of "drifter", its called homeless and its not a nice place to be. Believe me, I've been there. And besides, how are you going to recharge your batteries?

I actually met a guy that was doing something similar without the camera and the notebook. He did fairly well. Just need to be very friendly and meet the right people and you'll have a place to charge your batteries and party. Just know how to make friends you might even get a few parties out of it if you stay in the US.

cuz, lets be realistic here. Your passport is atleast going to cost 100 bucks... And unless you are stealing for food, it doesnt sound logical. Not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to inject a little reality. There is a name for this type of "drifter", its called homeless and its not a nice place to be. Believe me, I've been there. And besides, how are you going to recharge your batteries?

I'll use the AA battery attachment for my MB-D10 external battery grip of course. And then I'll just change them before I start running off of the EN-el3 battery in the actual camera body. You're right though, maybe I should start with $500 instead. And I wouldn't mind being homeless, I'm not saying it'd be a nice place to be, but I'm trying to learn something here. Maybe if I got to experience having very little, I'd actually start to appreciate what I do have. And not just say I appreciate it, because we all say that and blah blah blah, but I want to truly appreciate what I do have, and I think realizing what life is like without stuff is the only way to really truly get it.

This is exactly one of the things that I wish I had done before I had a kid.

Well, if your going to be homeless, be sure to head south for the winter. You will die out in the cold. I was watching the Green Bay game last sunday and the windchill was -25! I thought a minute about the people with nowhere to go.

Anyways, just remember, you dont have to be broke to rough it. You can still live out of your backpack and from camp ground to camp ground. But your going to need some way to finance your travel. I dont often like credit card debt, but if your going to travel like this, I think 1000 in the bank, and get you a 1-2000 dollars in credit, and go out and have an adventure for 3-6 months. I recommend traveling Europe.

When you get home, you'll have exhausted your funds, and will have a little credit card debt... but who doesnt these days. Start working and pay it off.

Have the adventure of a lifetime! Do it now, you might not get another chance until your retire :)

Do it while you can! When I left Med School it was straight into the RAF - marriage and kids. At least there was no major war on then and I got a chance to travel on Her majesties Airways for free.

The more money you have available the more comfortable you can make yourself. There are plenty of other things you can do to make it easier on yourself learn to make friends with strangers easily (if you go to Europe you could probably get a hold of some alcohol and that is a decent ticket into parties (may not work as well there as it does in the US))

Most reactions

Back