Having Buyers Remorse Already.. bought the D5200 ..upgraded from D5000

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am not seeing any bells and whistles.. I am plainly not impressed with any difference between my D5000 And this new D5200.. I am using the same Tamron 18-270 MM lens.. I have mostly tested and compared the two with auto settings.. I think the 5200 does a good job and it feels lighter to hold.. but I am missing my d5000.. could it be me.. or is this a true aspect of only thinking your upgrading by buying a new camera..i can still take it back.. I don't know if they would accept my reasoning.. but I just don't want to be spending all this money if theres no reason to... I am still a noob in many ways. but I just don't feel the glory and excitement.. and you really need this emotion........

If you don't like it, take it back. That's a good enough reason.

well thanks .. but I want to be sure I am doing the right thing too..

The sensor on the d5200 is better alright than your d5000 was, but likely you will only see this in large contrast pictures due the dynamic range, and likely in very low light shooting. Unfortunetly the Tamron lens you use is very consumer, convenient but wont give you the best your d5200 or indeed your d5000 has to give.

Take it back.
Then buy yourself a better lens instead

well thanks .. but I want to be sure I am doing the right thing too..

If you bought it with the intention of returning it, that would not be cool. But since you bought it and said you don't like it after messing around with it, ethically, I think you're ok. Put that money into a new lens instead.

Yeah...you just basically bought a slightly more-capable version of what you have had for a while now. It's not really an "upgrade" in terms of capabilities or body controls, but a sort of lateral move, to a slightly better seat on the same old bus...maybe a bit closer to the heater vent, ya' know?

It's the mid-level consumer Nikon body, the one with the flip-out LCD screen...same old,same old. If you want "excitement" you would probably find it in a D7100 or a D610...something REALLY different.

Or maybe a new Canon T5i with the touch screen.

It has double the resolution, more focus points, double the ISO ability, has a better screen (larger, more resolution, and in the direction it flips), support SDXC, bracketing, HDR, longer battery life, just to name a few.

Basically just a lot of small improvements.

Why did you go out and get a D5200 to replace your D5000? and what did you expect the D5200 to magically do better?

The sensor on the d5200 is better alright than your d5000 was, but likely you will only see this in large contrast pictures due the dynamic range, and likely in very low light shooting. Unfortunetly the Tamron lens you use is very consumer, convenient but wont give you the best your d5200 or indeed your d5000 has to give.

thanks.. so this is definitly an upgrade but not overall in every aspect.. I understand now..

It has double the resolution, more focus points, double the ISO ability, has a better screen (larger, more resolution, and in the direction it flips), support SDXC, bracketing, HDR, longer battery life, just to name a few.

Basically just a lot of small improvements.

Why did you go out and get a D5200 to replace your D5000? and what did you expect the D5200 to magically do better?
haha ..now that you put it this way..good question.. I was hoping I would just improve picture quality and sharpness.. and I quess it is defnitly an upgrade I am just inadequately using it.

I'm sure it's an improvement in that regard; especially in low-light shooting with a higher ISO. But having good glass also helps, as does taking the picture properly in the first place.

One this it will help with will be to keep the shutter speed higher since the iso performance will be improved, leading you to capture sharper pics without as much noise all things being equal.

Yeah...you just basically bought a slightly more-capable version of what you have had for a while now. It's not really an "upgrade" in terms of capabilities or body controls, but a sort of lateral move, to a slightly better seat on the same old bus...maybe a bit closer to the heater vent, ya' know?

It's the mid-level consumer Nikon body, the one with the flip-out LCD screen...same old,same old. If you want "excitement" you would probably find it in a D7100 or a D610...something REALLY different.

Or maybe a new Canon T5i with the touch screen.

yes I quess this is how I am feeling right now.. I mean I wanted a change for the better...something I could notice. For what I do with the camera the d5000 was great.. I just love photography so buying something better seemed like it would keep me interested and excited about photography just in my own back yard private kind of mode..it is just something of a hobby I enjoy.... but so far I feel sorry that I am not feeling it with it the 5200 and it isn't because it is over my head.. it is because it feels the same..

I'm sure it's an improvement in that regard; especially in low-light shooting with a higher ISO.
yes I noticed that I do not need as much light. But that's just not enough

Most reactions

New Topics

Back