Having one of those days!

Elizabeth,

I looked at your website and came away with two very distinct impressions.
First was that, in many situations, you aren't looking closely at the subject for placement in the frame and possible distractions of the background, before you shoot, and
second, that you aren't 'finishing' the pictures well for composition, sharpness and color.

IMO, it is crucial that you have a firm idea of what the finished shot should be and that you make that happen with the final image.

Here is one example.
I think the wb is off, her skin is dull and has a greenish tinge.
Her eyes are very dark and way up at the top
Her shirt is the brightest part of the picture and draws my eye.

2:3 aspect ratio is not great for torsos or portraits imo; it generally cuts off the person in what I think are the wrong places.

View attachment 78429

Thank you for the awesome critique. I appreciate the time you put into this! I will continue working and take your points into consideration.

I'm having one of those days where I look at every photo I've taken so critically and compare my work to others. Maybe I just need to upgrade my equipment? Is this why my photos aren't turning out the way I want them to? Am I a ****ty photographer?

There's really no reason for this, I suppose. This makes me want to do every session for free until I become better. Can someone offer me some words of encouragement?

/arrrgh

You got some nice pix at your site. No reason to feel bad about your work. Eat some healthy food, get some heart pumping exercise and good sleep and you will feel better.

It happens to all of us!

I find that doing some sort of project, whether it's an actual shoot or some DIY thing I've wanted to try (like right now, I just bought a little sewing machine!) gives me the boost that I need and relights the spark. Something with NO pressure that I can enjoy. I felt like you feel about this time last year and set up a ballerina shoot. A few weeks ago I did a boho inspired shoot with a friend and her sister. Something different from the same old hustle and bustle from what I normally do (weddings).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back