Having your own toddler at a photoshoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She is almost two years old and have resorted to many things to keep her out a photoshoot (I know its not fair but don't really know what else to do, so any suggestions as to how you manage would be MORE THAN appreciated)
I have to this day done these things:
-Put her in her bedroom with a ton of toys and food with a baby monitor and a bottle (Usually she would have a nap, but has since stopped napping so I have been very against just sticking her in her room to play unattended)
-Brought her into the studio in her little pram with some toys
-Outdoors Photoshoots I put her in her pram with toys and food
-Boudoir Photoshoots I try my best to get a babysitter but once I couldn't and had to put Dora The Explorer on and check every 5 minutes (during an "outfit change").

I have 2 photoshoots a day, one day off a week..

I'm really confused. You yourself admit that leaving her alone in a room during your photoshoots isn't really fair. You do 12 photoshoots a week. You think that she is better off alone in a bedroom watching dora and eating snacks than at a daycare being entertained and stimulated? What was the point of this thread because every time someone offers advice you fight it.

She is almost two years old and have resorted to many things to keep her out a photoshoot (I know its not fair but don't really know what else to do, so any suggestions as to how you manage would be MORE THAN appreciated)
I have to this day done these things:
-Put her in her bedroom with a ton of toys and food with a baby monitor and a bottle (Usually she would have a nap, but has since stopped napping so I have been very against just sticking her in her room to play unattended)
-Brought her into the studio in her little pram with some toys
-Outdoors Photoshoots I put her in her pram with toys and food
-Boudoir Photoshoots I try my best to get a babysitter but once I couldn't and had to put Dora The Explorer on and check every 5 minutes (during an "outfit change").

I'm really confused. You yourself admit that leaving her alone in a room during your photoshoots isn't really fair. You do 12 photoshoots a week. You think that she is better off alone in a bedroom watching dora than at a daycare being entertained and stimulated? What was the point of this thread because every time someone offers advice you fight it.

No because as I said most of my photoshoots are larger ones, so she will be playing with her little friends at my mates house.
So for an hour and a half- 2hours she will not be with me and then she gets the rest of the day with me.
Only about 2 photoshoots a week are smaller ones, and that is when I find things for her to do.
And she isn't alone in a bedroom watching Dora.
She is contained in the lounge (not that she needs to be, she always asks me first before she touches anything.

What was the point of this thread because every time someone offers advice you fight it.
Look, thankyou for the tips.
I'm going to have a think about what I want to do.
I don't want to lose all the effort I have made between me and my daughter,
Shipping her off to daycare every day just doesn't suit me.
I don't want to argue, but I appreciate everything you have pointed out

What was the point of this thread because every time someone offers advice you fight it.
Look, thankyou for the tips.
I'm going to have a think about what I want to do.
I don't want to lose all the effort I have made between me and my daughter,
Shipping her off to daycare every day just doesn't suit me.
I don't want to argue, but I appreciate everything you have pointed out

she's not two...just wait :D :D

okay so you are booked until october. doing how many shoots a week?

If I did shoots for $40 and gave away a CD with all the digital images, I would be booked until 2015. Just saying.

I don't do photoshoots for $40.

Sorry, I was wrong. . . you do them for $50 (US dollars). I need to freshen up on on currency conversion :)

$60- FAMILY PORTRAIT SESSION-MINI
Includes:
• Karissa's Time and Talent
• 20 minute Session within Winton (out of Winton travel fees apply)
• 15 images professionally edited in Lightroom 4
• 15 images on a disk with free postage within NZ

If I did shoots for $40 and gave away a CD with all the digital images, I would be booked until 2015. Just saying.

I don't do photoshoots for $40.

Sorry, I was wrong. . . you do them for $50 (US dollars). I need to freshen up on on currency conversion :)

$60- FAMILY PORTRAIT SESSION-MINI
Includes:
• Karissa's Time and Talent
• 20 minute Session within Winton (out of Winton travel fees apply)
• 15 images professionally edited in Lightroom 4
• 15 images on a disk with free postage within NZ

What's the point in this?
I am successful and probably working 2x as hard as you do during photoshoots and afterwards.
If I am happy doing that then great.
Why does this bother you so much?
Are you unsuccessful or getting very little work, cause if not why bother going onto my website and copying my prices and pasting them here and then criticising me?

I am successful and probably working 2x as hard as you do during photoshoots and afterwards.
Are you unsuccessful or getting very little work, cause if not why bother going onto my website and copying my prices and pasting them here and then criticising me?

I think we have different ideas of success. To me, success would be people valuing my art and paying me what I am worth. Being able to make a profit for my work that allows buys me more free time with my family. I don't want to be doing 2 photoshoots a day. To me that is not success. That is working like a dog for not much money.

I think we have different ideas of success. To me, success would be people valuing my art and paying me what I am worth. Being able to make a profit for my work that allows buys me more free time with my family. I don't want to be doing 2 photoshoots a day. To me that is not success. That is working like a dog for not much money.
Yeah but remember, Im only 20.
How old are you?
Im just starting out in life.
At this age you pretty much have to work like a dog for money or you cant even live.
Other photographers in my area charge $30NZD photoshoots or $400NZD (talented photographers) photoshoots.
I feel I am the affordable moderately talented middle option, and I am happy to do that until I have enough savings to up my prices.
But I am young, have a baby, have a home, have a partner (who is on minimum wage) so I have to do what I have to do to keep my family safe, cared for and alive.
Im glad you have a life thats so great, unfortunately some of us dont have as many options

why am i suddenly feeling Deja Vu with this thread?
I felt like a replied maturely considering I am getting criticised.

oh, im not questioning the intention of your responses...Im just saying we should keep it civil before Overread starts feeling Deja Vu as well. :lol:
I tried to "close the thread" with a few statements now saying I appreciate the comments, etc.
But it just keeps getting worse?
I don't get what half the conversation has to do with the original question.
Not that I don't mind off-topic chat but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back