Having your own toddler at a photoshoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to "close the thread" with a few statements now saying I appreciate the comments, etc.
Since you think the thread has run its course, you could just move on to other things, rather than continuing to participate in the thread.

I understand that best-case-scenario is having my daughter be babysat during a Photoshoot, But I can only afford to do that for large packages.
She is almost two years old and have resorted to many things to keep her out a photoshoot (I know its not fair but don't really know what else to do, so any suggestions as to how you manage would be MORE THAN appreciated)
I have to this day done these things:
-Put her in her bedroom with a ton of toys and food with a baby monitor and a bottle (Usually she would have a nap, but has since stopped napping so I have been very against just sticking her in her room to play unattended)
-Brought her into the studio in her little pram with some toys
-Outdoors Photoshoots I put her in her pram with toys and food
-Boudoir Photoshoots I try my best to get a babysitter but once I couldn't and had to put Dora The Explorer on and check every 5 minutes (during an "outfit change").
My clients have never minded- God they are some nice people!
But need to have a better system up in place, or do you think what I am doing is okay?
The large packages are about an hour long so I ALWAYS get a babysitter for them, my small packages are about 20 minutes long

I don't need to walk over to my child once, she is a happy and placid child.- I've said that before :)

Sorry, I suck at quoting. but you probalby get the answers your getting because people can't figure out what your saying. your very first post is at top. you stated under boudior that you set the kid in front of dora and check every 5 minutes. so i respond that if you checked your kid every 5 minutes i'd be out of there. then you tell me you don't need to do that.

either you check on your kid or you don't. If you dont check on your kid, then that to me is way worse then having an accredited facility care for your child and watch your child. and if you do check on your kid then you are doing a disservice to your client. It sounded more like you just wanted people to tell you that your doing the right thing,and you don't want to hear a diffrence of opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that best-case-scenario is having my daughter be babysat during a Photoshoot, But I can only afford to do that for large packages.
She is almost two years old and have resorted to many things to keep her out a photoshoot (I know its not fair but don't really know what else to do, so any suggestions as to how you manage would be MORE THAN appreciated)
-Put her in her bedroom with a ton of toys and food with a baby monitor and a bottle (Usually she would have a nap, but has since stopped napping so I have been very against just sticking her in her room to play unattended)
-Boudoir Photoshoots I try my best to get a babysitter but once I couldn't and had to put Dora The Explorer on and check every 5 minutes (during an "outfit change").
But need to have a better system up in place, or do you think what I am doing is okay?
The large packages are about an hour long so I ALWAYS get a babysitter for them, my small packages are about 20 minutes long

I don't need to walk over to my child once, she is a happy and placid child.- I've said that before :)

Sorry, I suck at quoting. but you probalby get the answers your getting because people can't figure out what your saying. your very first post is at top. you stated under boudior that you set the kid in front of dora and check every 5 minutes. so i respond that if you checked your kid every 5 minutes i'd be out of there. then you tell me you don't need to do that.

either you check on your kid or you don't. If you dont check on your kid, then that to me is way worse then having an accredited facility care for your child and watch your child. and if you do check on your kid then you are doing a disservice to your client. It sounded more like you just wanted people to tell you that your doing the right thing,and you don't want to hear a diffrence of opinion.
During outfit changes......???

I am not a pro, nor do I intend to be a pro. I'm not being critical of you, personally, but as a possible client I would be thinking twice before paying to have photos taken under these circumstances.

I don't know you tell me. If you only have your kid with you on short sessions and you say a short session is only 20 minutes. how many outfit changes do you have and how many 5 minute intervals do you have? heck, one clothing change for most girls i work with would take up that 20 minutes interval. Again it sounds like you just want everyone to agree with you so you can feel alright about doing this. But for me I just think its unprofessional. I would be very uncomfortable shooting with you if I new there was a 2 year old child in another room while you were taking photos of me. Maybe all your clients you have don't mind. I don't care how smart your kid is or how brilliant, she is still two. If it were me and a short session was only 20 minutes you could look at scheduling 8 sessions a day and have a sitter for you 2 days a week.

Weird that you think it's so wrong to have your kid at a daycare where she can play with other kids her age and be watched over. Yet you feel its okay to leave your kid in the room while mommy works.

I'm feeling the déjà vu as well so I'll only add one cent of feedback: you might want to include in your advertising that your child accompanies you to all shoots. This would be a deal breaker for me. As another member mentioned above, portraits are a luxury just like my weekly massages. If my massage therapist brought her kid in, I would have no problems seeking another therapist.

YoungPhotoGirl said:

You said that you check on them every five minutes. And then said you didn't need to check on them at all. I think that's what he's getting at.

I like pie!

werd.

I know if I was a kid, I'd rather be home during a budior shoot than a crummy old daycare playing with other kids.

Oh, wait...I'm not a kid, and I still prefer that..... :)

in before the lock. wahoo

I have a three and a half year old, she spends 2 days a week with her grandparents, one day with her mom on her day off, and the other two in daycare. I've had her around at a couple pre-wedding meetings (she toddled in to one about a year ago and pretty much sealed the deal), but I would never have her at a photo shoot. On days when it's just me and her at home, I can hardly get any work done, even responding to e-mails, so I can't imagine trying to do a photo shoot with her in the room. She's an awesome kid, but she requires pretty much constant attention, and doesn't really have any concept of not interrupting Daddy.

And as a side note-asking for advice on a forum and getting defensive and mean will not make you any friends, and you probably won't learn anything either.

I just can't help myself....did you really have your kid in the other room whilst doing a boudoir shoot? Because that would really lead to some interesting questions with my daughter when she would invariably come to see what I was doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back