hawaii

Do you ever have any issues with using a CPL for HDR's?

Yes I definitely have issues but I think its more user error. I have a bad habit of forgetting about it and concentrating on other things. Taking a single exposure a small mistake with a cpl can be pretty minor, but when are putting multiple exposures together with HDR software that minor issue becomes glaring. Mostly 2 tones in the sky. I have ruined some otherwise nice pics that way

Yes I definitely have issues but I think its more user error. I have a bad habit of forgetting about it and concentrating on other things. Taking a single exposure a small mistake with a cpl can be pretty minor, but when are putting multiple exposures together with HDR software that minor issue becomes glaring. Mostly 2 tones in the sky. I have ruined some otherwise nice pics that way

Thanks, that's what I've always thought.

While playing around in Photomatix I realized what the main issue was; I had been assuming that the settings reset themselves each time you created an HDR, so the reason they were all coming out overcooked was because they had bad settings from the times I adjusted all of the settings to see what each one did. After resetting everything to default and using your guidelines I was able to get a much more realistic image. Here's one from my trip to the Big Island last summer:

1175847416_3NVcx-L.jpg

Hopefully I can get some good ones in June when I head to Maui. Thanks again, your tips really helped me out.

I generally used 5 images for HDR's, do you suggest 7 or 9 instead?

I think it looks good. I personally would have done a desaturation to the yellow and greens. I do far more selective desaturation then additional saturation after processing an HDR

My camera does 9 shot brackets up to a stop difference. As long as there is no ghosting issues I will take all 9. I think it does give more precise changes with the sliders in photomatix but also can add noise

I seriously think we've found the TPF master of HDR. This guy knows way more of the process than I think pretty much anyone, and I've yet to see better results.

myshkin, I really appreciate you sharing your process tips with us.

Thanks manaheim quite the compliment, but I don't think I am there yet. I am getting more consistent I think. I have been on a HDR processing obsession the last few weeks and i notice an improvement overall

JimConventry - Everyone brackets for shutter speed to change the EV with HDR

Beautiful pics. Love to get there one day...

These should be in a book or something. They are just breathtakingly amazing. Brilliant work.

absolutely stunning pics

This is my dream to take photos like this. I love Kauai. Wasn't into photog when I went last May. Gotta head back.

How does HDR work exactly? I have a Canon Rebel XS. I need a tripod correct?

this thread should be a sticky on how to HDR!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back