Hawk 1 - Squirrel 0

RVT1K

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had just bought a Pelican case to put all my gear (actually most) in when we move. It had been taking quite a while, I have lots of stuff and limited space to stuff it in. Since this is essentially for a one-way trip, my main concern was security and not ease of access. So I'm about 80% done and I see this outside. I immediately start scrambling trying to grab a body, my 70-200 f/2.8 and the tele-converter I always use, out of the quite tightly packed foam I had so carefully assembled just minutes ago. I got a few but I must have spooked him because he flew next door. I didn't try to follow as I'm sure he would have just flown off.
Shot thru a window. Again..

000_8735 - Copy.JPG

000_8739 - Copy.JPG

IQ looks great, I can't tell it was shot through a window. Nice shot!

Poor squirrel, but at least the hawk ate that day!

Nice, gruesome catch!

The hawk didn't eat the squirrel in my yard, it did that after it took the squirrel next door.
We watched with binoculars. That's when it got gruesome.

The squirrels are always in the yard looking for seed that has fallen from the birdfeeder. They spend so much time chasing each other, its no wonder the hawk was able to grab one. I didn't see the strike, I only noticed the hawk after the fact. At first I was thinking "What the hell is that?!" because it was so big. Its tough to get a sense of scale but look closely at how big the claws are with respect to the squirrel.

Nice shots. I will always root for the hawk.

While we are fans of the squirrels - to the point of giving a few names like Squeeker and Scarface - this was a cool example of nature at work and we were happy to have it happen in our yard.

I know snow can screw up the white balance, I didn't have any time to even think about it when I took the shots and ViewNX 2 didn't have a dedicated correction. I was going to play a bit and see what I can do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back