Hawk-Moth?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was outside today fixing a solar light and I noticed this what I thought at first was a leaf wrapped around this string holding up a wind chime but it was some kind of moth. I never seen this kind of moth around before, especially during the day. It was a pretty good size too.

I did some research and it kind of resembles a Hawk-Moth. But I'm not positive, so if anyone here knows their bugs...feel free to tell me what it exactly is!

Anyways the picture, believe it not was taking with the Nikon 20mm f/1.8G on the D610 at f/5.6, 1/500th and ISO 180.

I did a square crop, I thought it worked better to pull your attention to the moth rather than the dead space.

Erwin-170731-13165.jpg

I had to do a google on hawk moths, and I see a few subspecies that have yellow spots on the dorsal sides of their abdomen. Not sure which one you have there, but there are something like 1400 known subspecies.

By the look of it's wings it could be straight out of its pupa
My thoughts exactly.
Nerwin, you didn't happen to get another shot once it's wings had extended did you? That might be easier to identify, even if its not as interesting a shot as this one.

Nah, he didn't want to budge.

Very cool. If you came back in a 1/2 hour or so you probably could of seen it extend its wings.

Most reactions

Back