HDR images. very simple quesiton.. please answer quick.. photography project for uni

AshD_UK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im doing a project on HDR images. I understand the basic idea and how to do it. But should I be altering the exposure (ie -3 to +1) or change the shutter speed??

Change the shutter speed. The best HDR photos that I have taken have been the following:
1 exposure properly set to show the entire scene (if you were only going to take one photo, this is the one you would take
1 exposure that just barely catches the super bright parts of the scene without blowing them out
1 exposure that shows what's going on in the shadows
If there is more than a 2 stop jump between any of these, I'd consider shooting another photo in the middle of them.

AEB is nice for a quick job, but if you're going out knowing that you're going to shoot a composite, why not get the exact shots you want!

The key is always in the post processing though. Good luck!

Also, I'm not sure what mode you're shooting in, but changing the exposure compensation number might change other settings like the aperture or the ISO... changing the shutter speed is the best way to do it though.

Make double sure you have a tripod!

Thank you so much! hopefully will go well. Just to make sure I leave aperture the same. and just alter shutter speed. Do i leave exposure or change that? is shutter a better effect?

Oh also, switch to manual focus. That way the camera won't refocus between every photo. That would be bad.

I'm not sure what you mean by "effect." Different shutter speeds don't create different effects. If you're trying to do an HDR of something that is moving, you'll have to do 1 proper exposure, and then adjust that photo to make a brighter copy and a darker copy for the purposes of HDR.

Thank you so much! hopefully will go well. Just to make sure I leave aperture the same. and just alter shutter speed. Do i leave exposure or change that? is shutter a better effect?

If you leave the exposure then you will have three identical photos which will do little to help you create a HDR.

What he is saying, is alter the exposure ONLY by changing the shutter speed. DO NOT change the aperture or the iso....and you always want to shoot at base iso. HDR's have a tendency to increase noise so you want to start with the most noise free images possible.

Process I would do.

Camera on a tripod
ISO set to Base ISO (auto iso off)
Camera put into aperture priority mode or full manual
aperture set for the scene (whatever you decide)
autofocus the scene but don't shoot
flip the switch to go into manual focus and then leave the focus alone

Shoot a shot exposing the entire scene (exposing this by changing the shutter speed)
Shoot a shot exposing the shadows well with detail (exposing this by changing the shutter speed)
Shoot a shot exposing the highlights well with detail (exposing this by changing the shutter speed)

and as he said, if there is more than 2ev between them, shoot a shot between each of those.

Then off to your editing where most likely you will ruin the images due to lack of knowledge about the processing techniques...this takes much practice and is the most frusturating part and the hardest part to get right.....this is where most people fail.

Good luck

Then off to your editing where most likely you will ruin the images due to lack of knowledge about the processing techniques...this takes much practice and is the most frusturating part and the hardest part to get right.....this is where most people fail.

Good luck

HAHAHAHAHAHA

so true

Most reactions

Back