HDR Macro of Fly

cyoubx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently got a reversing ring.

I hate flies, but I thought this was an interesting shot. It is dead but oh so beautiful!
Obviously not focus stacked; I'm still very new to photography and even more so to macro and HDR.

Critique is welcomed as always. Thanks in advance!

Ilovemycam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Nice shot!

New? But you know a lot already.

cgipson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
So why did you feel HDR was necessary on this image? How many images?

OP
C

cyoubx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Nice shot!

Thank you! I actually started any sort of camera work with making YouTube videos. Plus, I can never know enough!

I couldn't quite figure out how to do the lighting so I used two LED flashlights to try to brighten the subject. It still seemed a little dark in places so I figured HDR might be able to bring out some of that detail. Maybe that was a poor use of HDR in retrospect. This was with 5 images though at 0.5 EV increments.

cgipson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nice shot!

Thank you! I actually started any sort of camera work with making YouTube videos. Plus, I can never know enough!

I couldn't quite figure out how to do the lighting so I used two LED flashlights to try to brighten the subject. It still seemed a little dark in places so I figured HDR might be able to bring out some of that detail. Maybe that was a poor use of HDR in retrospect. This was with 5 images though at 0.5 EV increments.

It it works, it works! Only you can say if it improved what you originally saw, since we only see the end result. I could see LED flashlights needing some assistance like that... and it also explains your choice to go B&W! I am sure the light through the color off. Not a bad image at all... interesting!

Many of us Macro shooters prefer to use flash.. with a good diffuser. It provides excellent soft light and really can make the subject "pop"! I often use this diffuser > http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Spee...d=1370182894&sr=8-2&keywords=fotodiox+softbox if you wondering how to get good lighting. There are many other options also...

Most reactions

New Topics