HDR Movie? Yes those do exist...

That's besides the point. The point that this is an amazing piece of work with hours and hours of work put into it is the point. It turned out amazing. People have been doing heart surgeries for centuries as well..that doesn't mean that the surgeons shouldn't be praised. There's no reason to discredit it.

Mark

I'm sorry, people have been doing heart surgeries for centuries...?

I'm going to go ahead and rock the boat, and say that I think this film sucks. And before anyone brings up that argument of how many hours it took, or how hard it was to make, I'll just preemptively say that it doesn't matter. If the creator wanted to call this a demo reel, then maybe I could get down with that. But this isn't a film, it's nothing more than a collection of shots. This isn't about me hating HDR, which I generally do. I do honestly think the HDR effect in this loks pretty terrible, and does nothing for me. But that my opinion, and I understand that other people are allowed to think differently. But this isn't a film. HDR or not, I thinking it's incredibly boring and monotonous. It's just a collections of random shots, with cool HDR, cool slider movements and cool angles. This whole video is based on the idea that if a little bit of pepper makes my potatoes better, than a ton of pepper ought to make them awesome. A little bit of slider movement is cool, a little bit of interesting angles is enjoyable, hell, I could even get down with a little bit of HDR. But everything in this video is obscenely overdone, and done without purpose. There's no story, no progression, no continuity, no development. A film has all those things. This just shows a chapel, then shows it again, then shows it again, then shows it again, then shows it again. I actually find this video difficult to watch. The cuts are jarring and abrupt, and make no sense. It's just constantly moving between disconnected clips of the inside of a chapel with "cool" angles, movements and HDR. There's no beginning, middle or end; all important parts of a "film", no matter how short. It's just totally random all the way through. The fact that the music keeps stopping, while it cuts to a random shot, then the music starts again and we get to watch a new moving, HDR chapel shot. In the last 30 seconds, it basically ends like 5 times. Cut music, and fade to black. No wait, it's back. Another moving shot of the chapel, and cut to fading black timelapse, while music fades again. Fade in from black, to another moving chapel shot, fade to black. Then fade in from black to another fading timelapse shot, and then fade to black.

Sorry if I'm being a little overly caustic, but the degree to which the entire internet has been going gaga about this video, makes me want to point out that from a film perspective, it's not very good at all. Yes it's cool looking. Yes it was really hard to do and took a long time. Yes it's pretty unique. But none of those things actually mean that it's good. Some of the shots are actually pretty cool or interesting angles, but the repetitiveness just kills me. In a film, any one of these shots would have been a 3 second transition/establishing shot, to introduce a new location. Then the film would have moved on.

Sorry for the rant!

Last edited:
:thumbup: bo sho Awesome. That was probably the most craziest things I have ever seen, it was amazing im seriously going to watch it again.

I'm not a fan of it either. I can surely appreciate the effort and skill it may have taken to make it, but I don't like the look. Video game graphics are judged by how well they can look like real video/reality, so why commend real video for looking like a video game? That is exactly what that video looks like to me. Just my $0.02.

I'm going to go ahead and rock the boat, and say that I think this film sucks. And before anyone brings up that argument of how many hours it took, or how hard it was to make, I'll just preemptively say that it doesn't matter. If the creator wanted to call this a demo reel, then maybe I could get down with that. But this isn't a film, it's nothing more than a collection of shots. This isn't about me hating HDR, which I generally do. I do honestly think the HDR effect in this loks pretty terrible, and does nothing for me. But that my opinion, and I understand that other people are allowed to think differently. But this isn't a film. HDR or not, I thinking it's incredibly boring and monotonous. It's just a collections of random shots, with cool HDR, cool slider movements and cool angles. This whole video is based on the idea that if a little bit of pepper makes my potatoes better, than a ton of pepper ought to make them awesome. A little bit of slider movement is cool, a little bit of interesting angles is enjoyable, hell, I could even get down with a little bit of HDR. But everything in this video is obscenely overdone, and done without purpose. There's no story, no progression, no continuity, no development. A film has all those things. This just shows a chapel, then shows it again, then shows it again, then shows it again, then shows it again. I actually find this video difficult to watch. The cuts are jarring and abrupt, and make no sense. It's just constantly moving between disconnected clips of the inside of a chapel with "cool" angles, movements and HDR. There's no beginning, middle or end; all important parts of a "film", no matter how short. It's just totally random all the way through. The fact that the music keeps stopping, while it cuts to a random shot, then the music starts again and we get to watch a new moving, HDR chapel shot. In the last 30 seconds, it basically ends like 5 times. Cut music, and fade to black. No wait, it's back. Another moving shot of the chapel, and cut to fading black timelapse, while music fades again. Fade in from black, to another moving chapel shot, fade to black. Then fade in from black to another fading timelapse shot, and then fade to black.

Sorry if I'm being a little overly caustic, but the degree to which the entire internet has been going gaga about this video, makes me want to point out that from a film perspective, it's not very good at all. Yes it's cool looking. Yes it was really hard to do and took a long time. Yes it's pretty unique. But none of those things actually mean that it's good. Some of the shots are actually pretty cool or interesting angles, but the repetitiveness just kills me. In a film, any one of these shots would have been a 3 second transition/establishing shot, to introduce a new location. Then the film would have moved on.

Sorry for the rant!

You suck. Its not a ****in film that suposed that have a story.
it was made to be cool looking. Are you mad?

Sorry for the rant!

You suck. Its not a ****in film that suposed that have a story.
it was made to be cool looking. Are you mad?

I apologize for sucking, and am sorry if it bothered you. The filmmakers themselves call this A Short Film by at the beginning. I don't understand how a story is not an important part of a short film. This is a demo reel, and nothing more. I threw the "it's cool looking" part in there as a preemptive caveat to the people who would rebuttal by saying, "But it's soooo cool looking!" as justification for it being a good film. I actually think it looks stupid and overdone.

Most reactions

Back