HDR Photography

photo411

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photography-411.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm pretty new to photography. I just learned about HDR photography and I love it. I use Photomatix. I took this photo at the Kintai Bridge in Iwakuni Japan and I think it turned out good but like I said, I'm new. I'm sure I'll only get better!!!
test5_4_2_1_3_tonemappedsm.jpg

Nice subject. I would suggest trying to capture the whole bridge. Perhaps a shorter lens or take the shot from farther to the left. Also the colors are kind of muted you might be able to tweak them up in PP.

This is just a quick attempt. I'm sure some of the experienced submitters can give you more detailed advice.

Kintai2.jpg

Nice subject. I would suggest trying to capture the whole bridge. Perhaps a shorter lens or take the shot from farther to the left. Also the colors are kind of muted you might be able to tweak them up in PP.

This is just a quick attempt. I'm sure some of the experienced submitters can give you more detailed advice.

Thanks, I wanted to get the rest of the bridge but there was a group of people that I didn't want in the photo. I put a few other photos on my website. Like I said, I'm still learning but eventually I'll figure it out!

I could of sworn your profile said "Photos are OK to edit" early. Say the word and I'll delete out that edit I posted.

I could of sworn your profile said "Photos are OK to edit" early. Say the word and I'll delete out that edit I posted.

No worries. I'm sure there's a mutual respect amongst the people who post here. I just don't want somebody else taking credit for my photos but I don't have a problem with what you did!

Do you have the original (before HDR and tone mapping)? The reason I ask is, I'm not sure if this shot was a great candidate for HDR. HDR means high dynamic range. It's a techniques used in order to capture more light than what your sensor can normally capture. This looks to be a nice brightly lit, scene with a relatively low dynamic range.

HDR is a tool, and it isn't something that will work with every shot. Try to use it on scenes where you can't get the entire tonal range in your shot. If you like the technique, look for scenes with a high dynamic range. For example, shooting from inside a building, where a window is in the frame. HDR will allow you to have a properly exposed interior, and a properly exposed exterior. Without the technique (or using photoshop) you can properly expose the interior, but the window will be over exposed, or you can properly expose the exterior, but the interior will be underexposed. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. That's what I need because like I said, I'm new at this and am very much learning so I appreciate what you all have to say. This was the original
test1sm.jpg

prob coulda just tweaked contrast/saturation

u need HDR when u can't capture all the light in one from... like if exposing the foreground results in the sky being blown out, or vice versa

I agree, HDR not needed for this shot.

I just like the way you can almost make it look like a painting if you do it right!

I am a big fan of HDR and I really dislike when someone wants to get a painting look with HDR, IMO, HDR is used to capture a sharp image with equally distributed light.

A HDR shot should not be obvious that it was hacked up and given an "artistic" look. It should look like what you would see in real life, when conditions do not allow one exposure to capture that.

I agree, HDR not needed for this shot.

A HDR shot should not be obvious that it was hacked up and given an "artistic" look. It should look like what you would see in real life, when conditions do not allow one exposure to capture that.
That's your opinion and not everyone subcribes to it.

None of photography captures what you would see in real life. Close, but no cigar.

An HDR, or any other photographic image, should look the way the person who made it, wants it to look.

Photography is an art form. Some photographic artists prefer realism and some don't.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back