HDR processing

Marc32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got PhotoMatix Pro v4 to process HDR images. So far, it's amazing and much better than what I was getting out of PaintShop Prox4. I really like it! I'm still pretty green when it comes to using it so I've been reading a lot from Trey Ratcliff's website and Captain Kimo as well. These guys are great at it and have excellent tutorials.

The hang up for me thus far is the transition frow RAW image to the final HDR. Normally, a RAW shot needs to be edited for contrast, sharpness, saturation, etc etc. When you fire off a -2, 0, and +2 for a HDR merge, do I have to edit the colors prior to putting the images into Photomatix? I was thinking I had to batch process the 3 shots, then convert them into the HDR and then proceed with the tone mapping. The last step was sharpening and noise removal. Is this the correct order of steps? I'm not sure if I really need to edit the colors first or if the tone mapping will take care of that?

I want to try doing this with a panoramic stitch shot too, so I know I have to get it right to blend the seams. A daunting task for a greenhorn, but the final result should be pretty cool!

Yes, You would have to post process the images first before creating a composite :) Hope this helps. For the same reason, I am using LR/Enfuse plugin within Lightroom :) Helps alot!!

You cannot accurately edit a +2 or -2 Raw file.

I merge the Raw files in Photomatix first, and then bounce the file back and forth between Photomatix and Photoshop.

I do few, if any, global edits in Photoshop. I do local edits in Photoshop to address any artifacts generated in Photomatix.

OnlineHDRSunset.jpg

The only Pre processing I will do in RAW is to correct White Balance issues, those are best adressed ahead of time. Otherwise you really don't know the effects of Pre-processing on an HDR because things like contrast will change dramatically when Tone Mapped.

For an alternative to Trey and Kimo
The HDR Image | HDR Photography – "As the eye sees"

Yeah I agree its hard to pp -2,+2 but it can be done. Some pictures if might be easier. I usually just import the RAW files as well and tweak them in PS and Nik color effex.

Good Luck and post some of your images.

Two different methods...

oasis2A by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

white house by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

I avoid the sky halos in mine, and don't push the saturation of the sky quite as hard.

My present camera doesn't have RAW capability, so all my images are JPEG. I've found that for the majority of HDR images, +1 0 -1 results in a much more realistic image. I do the final PP work after the HDR imaging. Here's an example of the natural effect I strive for.

Joel

DSCN2023_4_5_fused.jpg

This one may be just a tad too color saturated:
DSCN1098_099_100_tonemapped3370x2061.jpg

Thanks guys. I assumed I could make a note of the settings of the neutral image and apply them to the -2 and +2. I agree that I've had some difficulty thus far trying to 'see' what is happening in these two images. I tried it this way and the results were OK, but nothing spectacular.

I prefer to let the picture decide how it looks in the end. What I think I'd try to stay away from is the heavily edited HDR's that almost look like a cartoon. It's great for some, but not my personal style. I like the natural look Joel posted for some images, but I also really like the little bit of edge vipgraphx has in those pictures. Vip...I took a peek at the HDR images on your flickr page, you're very good! Would either you mind if I asked what your settings were for those? I know each picture will be different, but I think it would be a good place to start off and move the sliders around until I see what I'm after on the screen.

Also, I'd read in a Photomatix tutorial that the software recommended changing the format from RAW to jpg or tiff prior to creating the HDR. Sounds like some of you are using the RAW file and then editing afterwards. At what point to you switch over to jpg or tiff? Is that the last thing done before it's off to the printshop?

Last edited:
Also, I'd read in a Photomatix tutorial that the software recommended changing the format from RAW to jpg or tiff prior to creating the HDR. Sounds like some of you are using the RAW file and then editing afterwards. At what point to you switch over to jpg or tiff? Is that the last thing done before it's off to the printshop?

If you are using Lightroom and the Photomatix Pulg-in. On export to Photomatix the file is converted to Tiff Images and then a 32Bit HDR File is created ( You can choose to stop at that point and save the Radience HDR file) or continue right onto tone mapping if you set it that way. So really once it eneters photomatix and is merged you no longer have a RAW file . Even if you use the standlone Photomatix, It converts the RAW firts and then does a merge

The only advantage of converting your RAWs to 16 bit tiffs before you merge in Photomatix, is that it cuts down on processing time since the longest wait is for the RAWs to be converted to Tiffs

I use photomatix and only apply noise reduction to underexposed photos @ 100% in the photomatix pre-processing.

Most of mine are handheld, which isn't ideal but sometimes I don't want to carry a tripod or it just isn't possible, ie on a rocking bamboo boat on a river. also, i lost my tripod recently, so yeah...

i always so -2, 0, +2 btw

The Lijiang River by justindong, on Flickr

Yangshuo by Sunset by justindong, on Flickr

Impressive shots jdong. What would be the theory to apply noise reduction to only the -2 photo as opposed to the whole batch?

Most reactions

Back