Head and shoulders

Nicely done! I really enjoy the 3rd one.

I do think these are a bit overexposed, textureless and perhaps too flatly lit.
If you look at the torso of the first young woman, it has that blank featureless look one sees on baby skin using an on-camera flash.

Her face seems darker that the skin on her torso.

I do think these are a bit overexposed, textureless and perhaps too flatly lit.
If you look at the torso of the first young woman, it has that blank featureless look one sees on baby skin using an on-camera flash.

Her face seems darker that the skin on her torso.

Hi Lew, thanks for bringing me down to earth ;) Can you elaborate on what you mean by textureless (how do I achieve more texture?) and flatly lit? Most of these were shot using Rembrant style lighting.

Re the colour difference between face and lighting in #1, she had fairly heavy makeup on her face as for a performance. Any suggestions as to how I can counter that effect in future (they do their own makeup) without hours in PS?

Look at the skin on her chest and face in this 100% crop of your post
There isn't any texture or detail like a strong light was dead on into all the pores in her skin.

re: the color. She should have makeup wherever skin shows or else much less foundation on her face.

AJill-0160_pp-1clip_zps79678f54.jpg

I'll look at the originals and see if it was my processing that caused this effect. Re the makeup, I hear you - too much foundation is one of the banes of my life with these girls. They're so young they don't need it but somewhere along the line they've been told about stage makeup. Next time I'll try to get the word across before the shoot. They won't put it anywhere other than their faces because the costumes are so expensive. As I've said before, I need to get across to them that there's a difference between stage makeup and photographic makeup.

real high quality photos, i like number 4 the most, only thing thats bugging me is the lil bit of teeth being showed in number 2

real high quality photos, i like number 4 the most, only thing thats bugging me is the lil bit of teeth being showed in number 2

Thanks Graham. #4 is Jo, a delight to work with and a natural model. I'd love to have her do a shoot that isn't for promotional shots (she has wicked tattoos) but unfortunately she's based 150 miles away from where I am.

#2, yes, I can see that might be a bit of an issue, now you drew attention to it it's bugging me, too! :scratch:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back