Headshot Ad Feedback?

looks like someone just learned about photoshop layer effects...

these look like HS student work. I'd suggest hiring a designer.

You are very good at being condescending, my friend.

Did you want honest feedback?

The first thing I thought of when I saw the first, was those ads on buzzfeed that are all like "This guy took a picture of his girlfriend and you'll never guess what he saw".

The choice of photo is almost comical; I know you have better work than that. This wasn't a critique on the photo, but I wouldn't be putting this shot/pose/edit out there for the world to decide if they should hire you or not. We can get into that later if you want...

The rest of the design just look very novice--It's not modern, fresh, elegant, compelling, or enticing. The thick border with the gradient, the poor choice in font, the lack of any typography whatsoever, the color choices, the fat horizontal rule. Seriously, it reminds me of someone just learning desktop publishing. This is someone's first impression of you, you need to draw them in, not only by the service you will be providing them, but just in general for them to bother to you at your ad. You need to sell your work, convince someone that it's worth $150 for your photography, and convince them that you're a legit professional photographer. Your ads don't do this.

Now just take a gander at what $5 designs you can buy from someone with an actual design background: Photographer ad | Etsy

I'm pretty sure even you can see the difference. Especially one like this: Facebook Marketing for Photographers - Instant Download - Senior Facebook Ad Advertising Template - Facebook Ad Template PSD

My plan is to promote mostly to the theatre/acting community. And being more casual and "real" is desired there.

if this is the case, then you should showcase headshots/portraits directed to this target market...which you are not doing.

My plan is to promote mostly to the theatre/acting community. And being more casual and "real" is desired there.

if this is the case, then you should showcase headshots/portraits directed to this target market...which you are not doing.

And have a headshots/business portrait/whatever you want to call them section on your website. I clicked through to it last night (and to your facebook page), and didn't see any other work on that (or on senior/graduation pictures for that matter). If I were thinking about hiring you, I'd want to see that work on your webpage. As it stands right now, it looks like you are primarily interested in fashion or event photography. I think it's worth streamlining your website or maybe maintaining a different section to showcase the things that you aren't looking to actively market.

looks like someone just learned about photoshop layer effects...

these look like HS student work. I'd suggest hiring a designer.

You are very good at being condescending, my friend.

Did you want honest feedback?

The first thing I thought of when I saw the first, was those ads on buzzfeed that are all like "This guy took a picture of his girlfriend and you'll never guess what he saw".

The choice of photo is almost comical; I know you have better work than that. This wasn't a critique on the photo, but I wouldn't be putting this shot/pose/edit out there for the world to decide if they should hire you or not. We can get into that later if you want...

The rest of the design just look very novice--It's not modern, fresh, elegant, compelling, or enticing. The thick border with the gradient, the poor choice in font, the lack of any typography whatsoever, the color choices, the fat horizontal rule. Seriously, it reminds me of someone just learning desktop publishing. This is someone's first impression of you, you need to draw them in, not only by the service you will be providing them, but just in general for them to bother to you at your ad. You need to sell your work, convince someone that it's worth $150 for your photography, and convince them that you're a legit professional photographer. Your ads don't do this.

Now just take a gander at what $5 designs you can buy from someone with an actual design background: Photographer ad | Etsy

I'm pretty sure even you can see the difference. Especially one like this: Facebook Marketing for Photographers - Instant Download - Senior Facebook Ad Advertising Template - Facebook Ad Template PSD

That's better, now just a little nicer and you'd be golden! But I get your point. I think I'll stick with my last iteration and just let my work speak for itself and not worry about making an "ad." That might turn people off anyway.

And have a headshots/business portrait/whatever you want to call them section on your website. I clicked through to it last night (and to your facebook page), and didn't see any other work on that (or on senior/graduation pictures for that matter). If I were thinking about hiring you, I'd want to see that work on your webpage. As it stands right now, it looks like you are primarily interested in fashion or event photography. I think it's worth streamlining your website or maybe maintaining a different section to showcase the things that you aren't looking to actively market.

Fair enough. I will look into that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back