Headshot B&W Amanda

Really stunning photo! (I mean it)
Super beautiful light and succesful skin retouch. (Not over-edited, but effective.)
And from the eyes I can see you have used only one softbox. How the f*ck is it possible to make such a gorgeus light with only one softbox?

Overall: Simple & Stunning

Sorry I spaced out your thread...

It's a headshot. Why would it matter if she is an actress or model?

Because actors have a little more leeway as to what their headshots can look like. They are allowed a bit more drama, through either pose or light.

"A head shot is a photographic technique where the focus of the photograph is a person's face. Headshot is essentially the same as portrait. However, headshot is an image that portrays people as they are and is more of a 'mug shot', however simple or stylized it might be. Whereas, a portrait will often 'portray' the person with elements of his life, such as his work, interest, etc"-wikipedia

A headshot is a portrait but a portrait is most often not a headshot. Part of Wiki's definition is correct: headshot is an image that portrays people as they are and is more of a 'mug shot' but the rest of it is confusing.

Headshots are used by models and actors to show how they are and there are pretty strict rules as to how they should be. Bland solid background, flat light, light make-up if any, barely any PP, standard 8x10 size and vertical image. Some people today are shooting them horizontal, probably to try and be different, but it is not a good idea imo. When a casting agent is going through a pile of headshots and 99% of them are vertical, there's a good chance the horizontal ones are not going to even get looked at.

Few of the concerned people seem to know what a headshot really is. Yes, the subjects don't seem to know anymore than the photogs. If you want to offer headshots and you know what they are, you are giving your clients an edge.

Now, as a portrait, I like your photo except for the couple things already mentioned by others.

As for the shoulder problem, portrait to me is about the face and skin being usually the lightest part of the image I ask people to wear long sleeves and long pants so that the focus stays on the face. I also try to keep them away from white clothes.

Of course, there are always exceptions depending on what one is trying to achieve.

Hope that helps.

I appreciate the schooling. So much to learn.

Really stunning photo! (I mean it)
Super beautiful light and succesful skin retouch. (Not over-edited, but effective.)
And from the eyes I can see you have used only one softbox. How the f*ck is it possible to make such a gorgeus light with only one softbox?

Overall: Simple & Stunning

Thanks.

I'm glad the skin retouch doesn't look over edited, which is a good thing.

The softbox is the key as you mentioned. But boomed right above and a little behind pointing straight down on her is a beauty dish for hair light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back