Headspinning with too much info...How about some opinions?

Jeffdebo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As the title states, I've been researching all over about developing my film.

For those of you who use manual focus 35mm cameras (like my FM10), what is your process from snapping the final photo of the roll to hanging the beautiful picture on your wall?

Do you take the film to a local CVS or RITEAID and have them print the pics for you?
or
Do you take the film to a local CVS or RITEAID and have them put your pics on a CD then bring them home and edit them?
or
Do you develop your film in your own darkroom?
or
Do you scan your film with a scanner? This is where I'm getting confused. If I take my roll of film and "scan" it, doesn't it have to be developed first?

Let me know your thoughts. I'm open to spending a little money to get the best final product, but would like the ability to edit a little on the computer if needbe.

Thanks All!

For the time being, I take the film to my local Ritz Camera for developing. I may start doing my B&W negatives in the near future.
I rarely get film shots printed. but I do scan the better ones.

Yes, you have to develop the negatives or slides, then you can scan and/or print them.

In the past, I developed and printed my own B&W.

In the near future I hope to do the same ... with the addition of scanning them with our Minolta film scanner.

A darkroom is not required to develop film ... a dark bag is sufficient (to transfer the film from the cannister to the developing reel/tank).

Thanks guys...

How much are the scanners/equipment needed to go from film to file on my computer? I figure the cost is going to add up quickly ($6/roll) if I just keep going to CVS and having them put my pics onto a CD. Plus, I'm sure this loses some quality, no?

Thanks again

I started having the lab develop and scan my negatives. Then I bought a scanner, had the lab develop, and scanned myself. Now I do my own developing. Each of the above steps resulted (eventually) in an increase in quality and reduction of expense. A good beginner scanner (like on of the Epson Perfections) is much less than $200, much less than $100 used. They are inferior to the pro drum scanners, but you likely can't afford those scans. Last time I got a quote for high res drum scans the price snapped my head back.

At the moment I develop B&W film myself, but colour neg and reversal is sent to a lab. I don't get scans or prints from the lab, only film development. Then I usually scan the film for printing on an inkjet and, more rarely, print in a rental darkroom (I do not have my own darkroom right now). The film I shoot professionally is scanned by someone else.

I develop all of my film myself (C-41 and B&W), and then scan. Once scanned, it's a digital workflow for me.

I have only recently (about a year) been developing my own film though, so I don't know everything yet, lol. I will say though, that I have never used a lab that has not scratched my film at least once - and that I have not scratched it once yet...

And, YES - it needs to be developed before you do anything with it.

As the title states, I've been researching all over about developing my film.

For those of you who use manual focus 35mm cameras (like my FM10), what is your process from snapping the final photo of the roll to hanging the beautiful picture on your wall?

Do you take the film to a local CVS or RITEAID and have them print the pics for you?

Only if you want your film destroyed..

or
Do you take the film to a local CVS or RITEAID and have them put your pics on a CD then bring them home and edit them?

Barely large enough to print a 5x7 if you are lucky. I have mine scanned by Precision Camera in Austin Texas because they do scans right and LARGE as in 4181x6305..

or
Do you develop your film in your own darkroom?

Been doing this for nearly 50 years.

or
Do you scan your film with a scanner? This is where I'm getting confused. If I take my roll of film and "scan" it, doesn't it have to be developed first?

Flatbed scanners do an OK job and dedicated film scanners do a better job. Most people don't scan right though..

Develop and print my own. If i shoot color I send that to a commerical lab.

I develop my film, Tri-X in D76, then scan it myself by copying the neg with a digital camera and macro lens. If I could afford a good scanner, I'd do that, but my camera will do as good of a job as a flatbed scanner, so I'll stick with that. I have not been satisfied with the quality of cheap whole-roll-at-once color scans in the $15-20/roll range, so gave up on that.

Developing B&W film isn't that hard, and quickly learned.

I've been going through some old negs, so results of the above process are at the top here: Flickr: Michael Darnton's Photostream
(
For the next round I'm going to turn the camera's sharpening down--it's been accentuating the grain too much.)

Develop and then scan.

B/w film only cost about 30 cents a roll to develop (after about 75 one-time starting costs) and u dont need a darkroom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back