Heavy Tree CandC Please

FORCFED

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot was taken from inside my house after getting 20" of snow. What do you guys think?
DSC_3315-1.jpg

DSC_3338-1.jpg

Last edited:
They are barely ok for documentary style images to show a big snowfall, but they have some obvious flaws that stop them from leaping into the world of being a photograph.

The heavy tree does not give the actual sense of being heavy. Maybe shooting from something other than a straight up straight on angle would help to emphasise what you want. Move around, look for something different.

The power lines, background house and all that don't help the image, they distract from the main subject. Technically, the photo is under exposed, and the white balance is off, making the snow look grey.

The second shot has a lack of interest, looks like the flash went off, white balance issues. Again, try shooting from various angles to try and capture an image differently than the straight up straight on look.

Perhaps if you were to go outside and try 'shooting' the tree at different angles as bigtwinky said.
Huge snowfalls present a lot of opportunity to capture something really interesting.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. Ill see what i can come up with.

Challenge yourself to find an interesting scene or subject and shoot it in 10 different ways. Up, down, zoom in, zoom out, get details, maybe HDR, wide angle, macro, tilt, no tilt, lying on your back, climb a tree...

LOL Ill see what i can come up with. Thanks!

I took Bigtwinky's advice and went back out and took a few more. Heres the 2 best out of a bunch i took. These might be a total fail again :lol: but I tried to get alittle more creative. CandC welcome!

DSC_3404-1.jpg

DSC_3388-1.jpg

Definately progress over your first two images, nice job!

3- I'm not keen on the lines you are trying to create in the first image. They are off center, which works, but I dont like how the focus is right off the accumulation of snow. It makes somethine interesting to look at, but my eye stays stuck right on that snow accumulation line

4- Ok...NOW we are talking photography here. This is definately showing someone who is trying to MAKE an image instead of just CAPTURE an image. I really like the choice of DOF here, keeping the background nice and blurry. Its a wee bit too shallow for my taste (might be artistic differences) as I would like the whole piece of ice in focus.
Nicely composed as well, having the image off center and a bit to one side. The blue in the background adds a nice sense of cold to the image.

Still not matching your thread title, but nice job going back out and doing more. Read into using leading lines in images to help with the #3 image.

Definately progress over your first two images, nice job!

3- I'm not keen on the lines you are trying to create in the first image. They are off center, which works, but I dont like how the focus is right off the accumulation of snow. It makes somethine interesting to look at, but my eye stays stuck right on that snow accumulation line

4- Ok...NOW we are talking photography here. This is definately showing someone who is trying to MAKE an image instead of just CAPTURE an image. I really like the choice of DOF here, keeping the background nice and blurry. Its a wee bit too shallow for my taste (might be artistic differences) as I would like the whole piece of ice in focus.
Nicely composed as well, having the image off center and a bit to one side. The blue in the background adds a nice sense of cold to the image.

Still not matching your thread title, but nice job going back out and doing more. Read into using leading lines in images to help with the #3 image.

3- I see what you mean about the focus being off. That snow build up is still there. Ill see what i can come up with. Ill also look into leading lines theory in an image.

4- After getting the picture imported i realized the piece of ice wasnt fully in focus. By then i had no light left. I maybe f/2.8 would have worked better.

As far as the thread title, I edited the first posts title but it doesnt change in the forum. Is there something im missing or doing wrong.

Thanks for the advice!

Most reactions

Back