Hedgecoe Hand Project

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Goal was to find a subject and focus on that image to produce a dramatic composition. I chose hands and decided to capture working hands. I produced them in camera raw conversion to a custom Acros, emphasis on contrast and detail. I was inspired by @Gary A.'s contrasty street images during his film journalist era and @Derrel's direction to pickup the 70's hedgecoe books. All images were created with a Fujifilm X-Pro 2, 60mm 2.4 macro. Comments and improvements welcomed. What I learned is it is very difficult to wrap your mind into a human part and try to represent it beautifully.

2017_0610_12211500-01-01.jpeg

2017_0610_12220100-01-01.jpeg

2017_0610_12221500-01-01.jpeg

2017_0610_12250800-01-01.jpeg

2017_0610_10460000-01-01.jpeg

6. Man that hands were attached to
2017_0610_10304000-02.jpeg

7. Lady weaving the old fashion way.
2017_0610_12064400-01-01.jpeg

Nice work.

Um, why? You are way beyond what I can do.

I also like the subject -- I had a lathe. I want one when we gety a olace with the room for it.

Because you are talented and do a lot around here. That one is running off a hit and miss motor.

Thank you.

When I look at 2 and 5, I think about all of the things that those hands have crafted.

Thank you.

When I look at 2 and 5, I think about all of the things that those hands have crafted.
Yup. He built his house and barn. One of the few old barns that hasn't caved in. He is a little different (but nice) and I haven't got up the courage to ask him if I could shoot on his property. He has a lot of neat buildings and stuff.

Overall nice set, but for me #5 captures the essence of the project.

Overall nice set, but for me #5 captures the essence of the project.
Thanks my brother. I agree. The linseed oil soaked hands amplify his hands and craftsmanship.

The linseed oil soaked hands

Done a lot of turnings over the years, individual pieces and furniture parts, never did much with linseed oil, just didn't like it. Primarily use lacquer on larger pieces so I can tint it for a more even color in the wood, or if I really want a hand rubbed look on smaller pieces and carvings I'll use this Briwax International, Inc

The linseed oil soaked hands

Done a lot of turnings over the years, individual pieces and furniture parts, never did much with linseed oil, just didn't like it. Primarily use lacquer on larger pieces so I can tint it for a more even color in the wood, or if I really want a hand rubbed look on smaller pieces and carvings I'll use this Briwax International, Inc

Yup, that Briwax is an excellent product. You can do some super finishing with it. Pretty specialized but very effective with the proper application and methods.

Very nice. I have a real soft spot for lathes, though most of my turning was done on a 1970s Hardinge metal lathe that was a real pleasure to use.

Very nice. I have a real soft spot for lathes, though most of my turning was done on a 1970s Hardinge metal lathe that was a real pleasure to use.

Thanks bud. He had a lathe, drill, grinders, table saw, and a small wood chipper all running in unison driven by hit &miss, belts and pulleys. Here is a detail of the automatic drill press.
2017_0610_10351300-01.jpeg

That's a lovely bit of kit. I really like these old tools, you can tell they are slightly over engineered to make them sturdy and resiliant so they just tend to work.

Hey, I've got one those, only mine is a post mount. Rebuilt it for the heck of it, and still don't use it.

Most reactions

Back