Hedgehog any advice

davholla

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I saw a hedgehog last night in my road and sadly it was too far to get away a photo with my phone. I had no idea that they were in the road before now.

Any advice about how to photograph these - is flash a no no?

I have a Canon 7D MKII and a Tamron 150-600 and a Canon 70-300 mm.

I also have a Canon 50 mm prime which is also an option because it can be used with a wider aperture.

I'm not sure I understand the question.
Why are you hesitant to use a flash...fear of scaring the animal?

But if you set your camera to the highest ISO setting you want to use (sometimes too high is too noisy), and set your lens to its widest aperture, and you still don't have enough light to get a decent exposure, you don't have many other options. Maybe have a friend shine a flashlight on it while you photograph it.

I worry if a flash would harm it in some way.

There's only one flash I know of that can harm a person or animal but I don't think a camera can produce it. I could be wrong.

th9D10FN24.jpg

As they are nocturnal and fairly slow moving I'd go with the 50mm. Their eyes must be pretty sensitive to light, so personally I would be very reluctant to use flash.

As they are nocturnal and fairly slow moving I'd go with the 50mm. Their eyes must be pretty sensitive to light, so personally I would be very reluctant to use flash.
Good idea sadly the 50mm is on holiday until Saturday. I am very surprised that this is the first time I have seen one - I real hope it is not the last.

A burst of light that lasts roughly 1/2000 of a second Will cause no lasting harm

Most reactions

Back