What's new

Heeeere's Johny!

Ysarex93 87

TPF Supporters
Joined
Nov 27, 2011
Messages
7,717
Reaction score
4,577
Location
St. Louis
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Getting out to take photos but working too hard with class to catch up on the processing! Took this one today on my walk and jumped it up on the queue because I liked it.

Joe


heres_johny_zpsf94d52ad.jpg
 
:lol: that's great
 
hahaha... that's weird on just so many levels. I like it.
 
It does fit the truck. Pretty good...
 
If I may, slight editing suggestion...

heres_johny_zpsf94d52ad.jpg


Not that you HAVE to stick with rule of thirds here, but where the picture is otherwise so easily lost, putting Johnny right at a crosspoint brings your eye right to him, which works really well here. The wiper blades also now help us get to the picture, which works well.

Also, cropping in... it's still VERY clear to us what the subject is because of the steering wheel and such and we keep just enough of the hood and the rusty roof to still bring us those elements and mood, but now we have a tighter focus and the oddly locked steering wheel on the rusty hulk becomes more noticable and lends more to the image.

Finally, sharpening and contrast (via curves adjustment) to just make it pop... just a LITTLE too much and totally on purpose, but it really gives you that "yeesh! drama!" look which I think works well given how much drama is implied by that picture. Also drops out some of the not so useful stuff in the cab and makes the picture and the wheel pop more.
 
If I may, slight editing suggestion...

heres_johny_zpsf94d52ad.jpg


Not that you HAVE to stick with rule of thirds here, but where the picture is otherwise so easily lost, putting Johnny right at a crosspoint brings your eye right to him, which works really well here. The wiper blades also now help us get to the picture, which works well.

Also, cropping in... it's still VERY clear to us what the subject is because of the steering wheel and such and we keep just enough of the hood and the rusty roof to still bring us those elements and mood, but now we have a tighter focus and the oddly locked steering wheel on the rusty hulk becomes more noticable and lends more to the image.

Finally, sharpening and contrast (via curves adjustment) to just make it pop... just a LITTLE too much and totally on purpose, but it really gives you that "yeesh! drama!" look which I think works well given how much drama is implied by that picture. Also drops out some of the not so useful stuff in the cab and makes the picture and the wheel pop more.


Glad you like the photo. I appreciate the suggestion and I think the crop certainly has merit -- especially taking some off from the left side. I debated losing the cab window on the left and I could go for that. I think you're right. I'm afraid I'm too conservative though for that "LITTLE too much" pop. Just took the photo a couple hours ago -- gotta live with it for awhile and maybe I'll move a little in that direction after I have a beer.

Joe

P.S. Haven't you heard? It's the rule of fifths now.
 
I'm not sure which is the better theft deterrent - the steering wheel lock or Jack.
Then again, he looks like he's scheming to steel the truck himself.

All work and no play makes Jack want to steel trucks ...
 
I like both the original and the edit. If I had to choose, I'd stick with the original. It is true that the picture is not placed in a spot where the eyes will find it right away, but it's not an afterthought either... and I like the fact that one only finds it after a moment. Here's a quick edit in which the only thing I did was some darkening of the top, which was slightly distracting.

$heres_johny_zpsf94d52ad.webp
 
No, damn you invisible. Mine is better! EPIC MEGACROP!!!!

:lol:

Ignore me I'm tired.
 
What is up w/ all the Shining stuff...lol It's starting to wig me out. It was on tv yesterday, in Mana's thread and now here. redrum
Anyway, very interesting shot. I like both edits for different reasons.
 
Background info: The owner does in fact drive the truck regularly. I frequently walk past it parked and have enjoyed the photo of Jack for some time. Jack used to be taped up in the rear window but was just taken down recently. Here's a photo of the truck from a year and a half ago.

Joe

 
Well spotted - I like Jack in the front.
Is there an axe in the back?

Given the choice, I do prefer the original crop, for the same reason that invisible said.
 
What is up w/ all the Shining stuff...lol It's starting to wig me out. It was on tv yesterday, in Mana's thread and now here. redrum
Anyway, very interesting shot. I like both edits for different reasons.

Kubrick was such a master. And the OP's photo is pretty good, too!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom