Hello all, I am a new member and live in the UK

PJcam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Happy New Year everyone.

I am new to the forum, and relatively new to photography. I did have a basic canon T70, 35mm camera, 25-30 years ago but since that the best I had was the mobile phone.

Although I am limited in many ways what I can do, and where I can go, I do hope to start to get out when I can and learn more about the hobby. I am disabled, so my outdoor photographs will be taken either from the car or my power wheelchair, or where I can comfortably and safely get either of them.

To get me started, I have purchased an entry level EOS camera, The Canon Rebel T6, EOS 1300D, with two lenses, an EF 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 III and an EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III. [Recommended to me by TCampbell thank you] I think although this is an entry level camera, it will have more than enough for me as I learn about all the controls, settings, what it can do, and just to experiment with it and enjoy the hobby.

My main aims are going to be, images of landscapes, sunsets, nature and similar. Mainly still images although a flying bird and moving water are sure to tempt me to test the camera a little more.

I welcome comments to any posts I may add on here, and images when I get to that stage. I will take all messages as being provided to help me to learn. So don't just shoot images, feel free to shoot advice and any help and guidance or suggestion you may have. Thank you.

Having just got the camera (Friday), I now need to think about the extras I will need to help me get the best from the camera. I have just ordered lens hoods for both lenses, so as we have no sun shine yet, they will at least keep the rain from the lenses. :smug:

Welcome to the forum

Welcome!

Hi PJ,

You have a great modern camera...feel great about it!

Among several others I use a Canon 450D. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I take photos and post them on FB all the time and people love them. Why? Because they are good images. With screen scaling for most monitors and scaling down of files when you upload to many platforms, massive megapixel count does not matter. The viewers will never see all those dots. The image files are much bigger than anyone other than someone who has the original file can see by panning around. And your camera as a new model has many improvements. "Entry Level" does not mean "Feel your gear is inferior" in any way other than as a marketing gimmick by the manufacturers. Also I guess it means "don't take it out in the rain." :) But as a machine it is an amazing piece of technology and you should feel proud of owning it.

I think because you will be taking images from your car or chair that you will capture some fascinating subjects. Why? Because you will be choosing more carefully, thinking about the process more. Head on out there so you can get the experience that photography is something you can build into your routine in a straightforward manner, rather than perhaps worrying it'll be this big cumbersome deal. Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Thanks for your comments and encouragement BigJason.

I am proud of the camera, I know there is a lot to learn but I am keen to get started and hopefully not make to many mistakes, that said we all make them and as long as we learn from them that is what they are for.

I think we are so lucky with technology now a days, we can go out and shoot 100's images and delete them all if needs be at no cost of films or developing. Brilliant, that alone should get us out and shooting.

My disability knocked me back big time but, I am coming out of the black hole. My wife encouraged me to do a little coarse fishing, I managed with help setting up and putting away, the benefits for me were enormous and I started taking pictures of lakes, scenes, animals and birds, nature generally all with a mobile phone. Then I wanted more, I wanted to see further, the animals and birds etc were always that bit further away, although some did come to where I was fishing, ducks, geese, pheasants, water foul, wrens, robins, etc, etc. All this and getting out in the fresh air brings me to a new chapter for 2018, due to my limitations I realise there will always be something that bit far away, even with a zoom lens, as I cannot get out into the countryside and hills etc as I would like, but it is a giant step forward, something to really look forward to doing.

Yes it is a good camera, I am so pleased with it, and it only came last Friday, three days ago. With time playing, experimenting, a lot of reading and help from you guys I am sure I will soon be taking pictures I never thought possible.

Thank you, Happy New Year BigJason

Thank you everyone for making me feel welcome in the forum.

Lots to learn, so no doubt lots of questions to come.

Happy New Year guys

Welcome to TPF.
Here's to a new photographic adventure.
On the wildlife photography topic. Don't forget you have some excellent zoos and animal/bird conservancies in your area. They can be an excellent resource for shooting birds and animals that you wouldn't normally get to see. I visit at least one a year.

Welcome to TPF.
Here's to a new photographic adventure.
On the wildlife photography topic. Don't forget you have some excellent zoos and animal/bird conservancies in your area. They can be an excellent resource for shooting birds and animals that you wouldn't normally get to see. I visit at least one a year.

Thank you for the advice zombiesniper, looks like I will be taking the wife out a lot more this year.

Over the last two years whenever I said to the wife, come on lets go out for a drive, she would always say, which fishing lake are we sussing out now. I have another excuse now, this will fox her, bring back memories of when we used to drive down those country lanes, better get the balance right, I would hate to disappoint her.

As a beginner I am reading up on the photographic triangle and just getting the feel of the camera and where all the controls are and what they do. 4 days with the camera and I got the bug. Looking forward to getting out and using it. :icon_camera: :encouragement:

Happy New Year everyone.

I am new to the forum, and relatively new to photography. I did have a basic canon T70, 35mm camera, 25-30 years ago but since that the best I had was the mobile phone.

Although I am limited in many ways what I can do, and where I can go, I do hope to start to get out when I can and learn more about the hobby. I am disabled, so my outdoor photographs will be taken either from the car or my power wheelchair, or where I can comfortably and safely get either of them.

To get me started, I have purchased an entry level EOS camera, The Canon Rebel T6, EOS 1300D, with two lenses, an EF 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 III and an EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III. [Recommended to me by TCampbell thank you] I think although this is an entry level camera, it will have more than enough for me as I learn about all the controls, settings, what it can do, and just to experiment with it and enjoy the hobby.

My main aims are going to be, images of landscapes, sunsets, nature and similar. Mainly still images although a flying bird and moving water are sure to tempt me to test the camera a little more.

I welcome comments to any posts I may add on here, and images when I get to that stage. I will take all messages as being provided to help me to learn. So don't just shoot images, feel free to shoot advice and any help and guidance or suggestion you may have. Thank you.

Having just got the camera (Friday), I now need to think about the extras I will need to help me get the best from the camera. I have just ordered lens hoods for both lenses, so as we have no sun shine yet, they will at least keep the rain from the lenses. :smug:

Nice having you here. Your welcome. Hope you enjoy taking your photos and I am sure you will post some great sots. Good luck.

I hope so too Empresshope, but I am at the bottom of the learning ladder looking up, a lot to learn for sure, but willing and hungry to do so.

Most reactions

Back