hello and question about your attitude to photography and fun of hobby

revolt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi
I'd like to first get some answer to my questions before I begin other things like showing photos or what:
First let me introduce myself and why I am here.
I am from eastern Europe and I am here cause I have observed in the internet that west people are having more "fun" when it comes to hobby and less negative emotions.
I was doing 3D models for games and I have observed that west people have fun, and we from east have only bashing, demanding "do better , do more, i want more, do like i said or this is crap" attitude.
West people had fun playing game with my free models (modding) while east had "it is all crap, do better than in-game made by developer for me tomorrow, i want it" "when will you do new tank, i want it immediately you moth*** " etc.
Except 3D modelling my other hobby since 22 years (1989) is photography. I begin it with manual cameras like Soviet Smena, Zenit, Lomo. Later (we are poor countries) i bought EOS 300D, now I have 50D and plan 7D.
So since I have seen several photo-forums I joined them. And to my surprise people there were also angry and frustrated (when it comes to free hobby which should be fun-factor). People are so narrow-minded , they had read one book saying "there is scheme that you do object in 1/3 so it is beauty"
and when you show your photos you get idiotic comments like "crap, central plan" they meant use golden section or o 1/3.
I was so angry that they are so narrow minded "all must be 1/3 or it is ****" , no matter if you have done nice looking beauty object photo, it not gives them fun, they must repair their broken ego with narrow mind.
I asked them "if you would take a picture of dog's **** on pavement and it will be in 1/3 is it more beauty than photo of beauty cat in middle of scene?" so I get few bravos from old people (wise) and a lots of "ban him" from young teenagers (which produce on and on and on "another one flower in golden section".
Another issue is meaning of equipment.
On some of photo forums they were criticizing people's pictures "bad, aberrations, noise, wrong depth of field"
and than I was answering "it depends of camera, you cannot criticize someone for fact that he hasn't got more money, it is all due to equipment, buy him better with light 1.4 instead 5.6 , than demand lower depth of field".
Cause every technician knows that aberration, depth of field , sharp image, noise level depends of quality (price) of lens etc.
But than they were saying "bull****, it 's photographer who make photo not equipment".
So I answered "okay, you have day, you want to make photo of your girl and light it up with flash, camera says it is 1/1000second but you have cheap lamp without HSS, how can you do it"
or "if you want to catch wild birds, you need fast AF and fast USM in your lens" .
Or I said "you blame man for too bright sky, but his camera cannot hold polarizing filter.
They laughed when I said that synchronization is up to 1/250 in body or in cheap lamp.
I don't want to count examples about AF, brightness of lenses, and noise level. But in general many of them denied influence of money (equipment) on photo and gone criticize photos of people with poor cheap cameras.
I was defending people whom were bashed for low quality images and I got banned. For me logic says "if there is a noise on man's photo, it it is less sharp, it means he has no money for better camera and lens".
Cause I had full manual cameras , I had EOS 300D and cheapest Tamron lens for 150 USD and I had in hands 7D and I had in hands 70-300 L USM and I can clearly see difference in focusing, sharpness, quality, noises.
So to the clue:
I want to ask you several questions:
- what is yours attitude to hobby - for me hobby is to bring fun, happiness, joy, but I have observed that on our "east European" forums many people's main hobby is bashing others for their poor camera or "central, not 1/3 composition"
- do you also believe that equipment not matters cause "if you want means you can" (hahahah I always say "tell disabled on wheelchair to get job in SWAT or Navy Seals"
- do you look at nice photo to have joy, fun or to check "if it is 1/3 or golden section , if not, it is crap"
- and if you say "this is bad photo" do you explain why ? cause when I criticize somebody's photo I say "please make it darker, it is too bright, please use lower f/ , please push up white balance to colder" not just "bad" without any reasons why
I wanna find forum when hobbyst share fun, not hate and frustration and ego push-up narrowminders (mostly teenagers 13-21). I wanna find forum when I can learn more or share my experience and get some tips. But after comparing my country-man I decided to look for it abroad.
my gallery is linked in my profile

I don't see the point in saying you do not like a photo unless you can offer suggestions on what would have made it a better image. The other side of the coin of course is that if you post a photo and ask for opinions then you should be prepared to take any critical advice and hopefully learn from it. At this stage, I do not feel I have enough technical knowledge to be able to advise other people on what they should have done so I leave it for those who have the know how.

When I see a photo which I really like, I say so. If someone asks for an opinion and I have one, I give it.

For me, photography is a hobby and the most important thing is to enjoy it. Others may well feel differently but, this is how I see it.

:popcorn:

Found the popcorn man!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back