Hello everyone, advice please and thank you

I may be late to the party, but I would suggest to find a local camera shop (not Best Buys or similar, they hire idiots) and put Canon, Nikon or the other guys in your hand for your budget. How do they fell compared side to side? The weight, the important button locations and how easily they make those adjustments for YOU. Navigate the menus. Which is more intuitive? BUT before you head off blindly, download their respective owners manuals and have a gander. Become familiar with basic operations, this does NOT mean the Auto functions. Have pointed questions prepared for the sales staff in areas that you are foggy on.

Preparation and research could yield you a camera and lens that will last for quite a while before the need to upgrade.

Just my 2¢.

Last edited:
^ nope not late at all, i actually decided to post pone my purchase of a camera, maybe a week or two, or more; just so I can do a little more research about camera, and as you suggested go to stores and actually try one out more. ( I did before but that was for only a little), been busy lately

If anyone takes photos of dancers, or cars, still or moving, please leave some advice and your equipment if you don't mind.

I will continue browsing the web/this forum

Thanks everyone! Everyone was very helpful

About the prepared questions...... have a few on hand that you know the answer to. This will give you a better reading on the BS meter of the sales person.

Kk I will come up with some before I go

Any suggestions on questions in general?

Here's a for instance...... (this assumes you have done your due diligence to understand the subject) and it doesn't matter if this is something you're intersted in or not, it's just a test.

Bokeh. How does this camera/lens combo render pleasing bokeh? Have a look at this thread. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photo-themes/25929-load-bokeh.html

I'll be shooting in Manual. What steps are required with this camera to make those adjustments in aperture, shutter speed and ISO?

I want to utilize off camera flash (OCF). How is this possible with this camera?

I understand that by purchasing Nikon, my testicles will increase by up to 25%, but how much less can I expect if I get a Canon?

I don't know dude. What's important to you? Now is the time to ask and answer.

How close will you be to the dancers? a 50mm won't be able to cover the whole body depending how close up you will be.

If you're up close, make sure that you have a 'fast' lens. Everyone here has told you that. It's a must, or you will be tweaking settings to accomplish what you need and images coming back blurry. You will be so frustrated, the camera will be up for sale quick enough. That is what happened to me. My first DSLR just couldn't accomplish what I needed it to. I told myself I would always go research before I made a purchase like that again.

Since you're taking action shots, are you also going to be shooting consecutive shots? My guess is YES. If so, you're going to need a camera with a decent fps rate and a high speed media card (so the camera can write to it fast and get the next shot off).

Most DSLR 'Kits' don't come with equipment that is all that great. That is why this hobby/passion for people gets so expensive. If you have $600, I would suggest to buy used, and try to find a deal that has what you need. Since you're trying to capture pretty clear images of America's Next Best Dance Crew type of stuff, see if you can fin what other crews are using for their shots.

My two_cents. take it for what it's worth, I am definitely amateur, but I learned my lessons and was in the same kind of boat you are (except I didn't want to capture dance shots, I wanted moving vehicle shots)

Good Luck and Post up some images to check out.
-D

huh? I don't get this.

uh... maybe it really does vary from place to place, sometimes I can be 5-7 feet, sometimes 10-15 and sometimes even more. Because some events are smaller and held in rooms at dance studios which do not tend to be that big, or gyms which tend to spread out people more, and sometimes stages which is pretty far away

uh here is a example of some events held in some studios.

you don't really have to watch the whole video, prob just like the first couple seconds but u could see some people in the front row sitting and I would be in a similar spot, or at least trying to force myself into a similar spot hahaha

Then even at gyms its pretty packed tight, I may be a few feet further but still
I have a video which shows an event in a gym too but ya

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh would you guys recommend getting the T1i over the Xsi for about 100~175 dollars more?

I saw my local craigslist and saw a sale for body only T1i for 490 come with everything except the lens.
then I saw one that came with the EF 18-55 IS kit lens for 575.

I mean overall buying the T1i then buying some new lens will be over my budget but i might be able to get a couple hundred more if the T1i is that much better than the xsi or xs

Last edited:
I have a T2I and LOVE it, But I dont know that the xsi to t1i is that much different, I would say less expensive body more expensive glass

I'd try to find a used T1i or Xsi, get a 50mm f/1.8 lens for it and take it from there.

Or find a used Nikon.. same idea basically.

Keep your eye on your local craigslist.
:thumbup::thumbup:
Even the kit lens 18mm-55mm is good for confined places.

So I found 3 cameras on craigslist while just browsing around

Canon Xs, with kit
Canon T1i with kit
and Nikon D60 with kit

all $450, any suggestions anyone? personal preferences welcomed :thumbup:

So I found 3 cameras on craigslist while just browsing around

Canon Xs, with kit
Canon T1i with kit
and Nikon D60 with kit

all $450, any suggestions anyone? personal preferences welcomed :thumbup:

If you go with Canon, I'd get the t1i over the Xs if they cost the same

^ kinda what I was thinking but ill have to wait till the seller responds to my emails

Craigslist ftw?

You'll have a problem with the 50 sitting so close. You won't be able to capture the entire body of the dancer(s).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back