Hello everyone, advice please and thank you

So I found 3 cameras on craigslist while just browsing around

Canon Xs, with kit
Canon T1i with kit
and Nikon D60 with kit

all $450, any suggestions anyone? personal preferences welcomed :thumbup:

You can't go wrong with any of these... as stated above, the lens you decide to go with is going to make a much larger difference on your photos, not the body. You can get a D60 body on ebay for around 300 bucks, and that leaves 300 more for a decent lens.

I looked on ebay and saw the Nikon D60 body for 150, well its still auctioning and another with the the 18-55mm lens for about 275 still bidding also these sellers have no negative feedback so ya

and suggestions for lens? since with the 50mm I won't be able to capture all of the dancer(s)
Would you guys recommend something like the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens?

Last edited:
Personally I would try for the Canon T1i since it is newer and stick with the 18-55 kit lens for now. The T1i may have a slightly better higher ISO than either the Nikon or other Canon.

The 18-55 gives you the best of the ability to capture a large scene (18mm) or you can zoom in (55mm) on somebody if need be. No, it's not a great lens as it's not "fast" but it should get the job done depending on the lighting in the place and every place is going to be different. That's where a camera with a decent high ISO performance comes in, you need to adjust the ISO higher if need be ... unfortunately high ISO can mean grainy but there are ways to deal with that as well. The Tamaron lens may be OK but at 28mm for the widest focal length it may be too narrow of field of view to capture everyone if they are far apart but it certainly will let in more light at 2.8. Then at 2.8 it may not make everyone in focus either.

Everything is a trade off unless money is no object and even then there are limitations as well.

Now its all a matter of seeing if the craigslist people reply or not:confused:
Looks like the 450 one got flagged down so now the only t1i i see up is for 550

Last edited:
Well it doesn't seem like anyone is responding to my emails from craigslist
lol

I couldn't find another t1i for around the same price all of the others went around 550+

So I am going with the xsi. for about 150 dollars cheaper :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for all your help:mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back