Hello from AZ

bryguy_ASU

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What's up everyone... obviously new here, but also very new to photography. I'd love to learn more and get some advice and critiques in the near future.

I'm currently residing in Scottsdale, AZ. Originally, born and raised in Southern Cali. I'm attending ASU as a senior in Graphic Information Technology (web dev focus). I'm taking a photography class next semester as part of my curriculum. I want to ace it with resources such as this forum. :)

With that said, I have a limited budget to buy a decent DSLR or Mirrorless interchangeable lens system. Looking to get something for under $700 for Christmas :)

I'll post a "help me choose" thread in the equipment section.

Thanks!

-Brian

What's up everyone... obviously new here, but also very new to photography. I'd love to learn more and get some advice and critiques in the near future.

I'm currently residing in Scottsdale, AZ. Originally, born and raised in Southern Cali. I'm attending ASU as a senior in Graphic Information Technology (web dev focus). I'm taking a photography class next semester as part of my curriculum. I want to ace it with resources such as this forum. :)

With that said, I have a limited budget to buy a decent DSLR or Mirrorless interchangeable lens system. Looking to get something for under $700 for Christmas :)

I'll post a "help me choose" thread in the equipment section.

Thanks!

-Brian

Welcome to the forum Brian. You can get quite a few really good DSLR's for $700 or less, so you'll have a lot of options to choose from - I guess generally I advise folks to stop and think about the types of pictures they'll be taking most.

Portraits, Landscapes, Wildlife, Sports, etc - this will give you a better indication of what sort of camera is going to suit your needs best.

Hi Robbins... thanks for the reply. I'll most likely be taking pictures of my family, wildlife, and general scenery when I travel. I'm sure for my photography class next semester will probably consist of a wide array of subjects. Since its an intro class, I suspect nothing too advanced.

I'd also like to the pics of my hobby stuff. Currently, I'm in to aquascaping, so I take a lot of pics and videos of my planted tanks and inhabitants. I post in the Planted Tank forum. :)

Here are some samples of my newb status... taken with my cellphone...lol

3e8ega9u.jpg

ymasy3y2.jpg

Shrimp taken with XSi:
ha6ytahu.jpg

Here's a pic of my katana I took with a XSi
nyhadyzy.jpg

And my airsoft gun with a XSi...lol
5ygasu9y.jpg

Hi Robbins... thanks for the reply. I'll most likely be taking pictures of my family, wildlife, and general scenery when I travel. I'm sure for my photography class next semester will probably consist of a wide array of subjects. Since its an intro class, I suspect nothing too advanced.

I'd also like to the pics of my hobby stuff. Currently, I'm in to aquascaping, so I take a lot of pics and videos of my planted tanks and inhabitants. I post in the Planted Tank forum. :)

Here are some samples of my newb status... taken with my cellphone...lol

Well actually you've got some nice images there - ok, so really any DSLR will do a fine job with most of these situations. Since you mentioned wildlife I'm guessing you'll probably also want to get yourself a decent zoom lens as well. So really the next question is, which do you consider more important? How fast a camera can shoot or image quality? If you had a camera, for example, that could shoot 5 or 6 frames every second as opposed to one that could shoot say 3 or 4 frames per second, would it be worth losing a frame or two per second of shooting speed to have better image quality?

Welcome to the forum Brian. You can get quite a few really good DSLR's for $700 or less, so you'll have a lot of options to choose from

I just started a thread on some camera models I've been considering... Please chime in. Thank you.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...help-me-decide-canon-sl1-t3i-sammy-nx300.html

I wish I could be of some assistance for you there bryguy, but I've never used an SL1 or an nx300 so I probably wouldn't be all that much help to you in making your decision.

Yeah I've never been into taking sports shots or anything like that. Slower consecutive shots with higher quality would be my cup of tea.

I wish I could be of some assistance for you there bryguy, but I've never used an SL1 or an nx300 so I probably wouldn't be all that much help to you in making your decision.

Well, out of curiosity, what would you have recommended if I didn't mention those? I've just started researching yesterday and those stood out to me.

Well, out of curiosity, what would you have recommended if I didn't mention those? I've just started researching yesterday and those stood out to me.

Well I'm a Nikon guy myself - I prefer the image quality. Thing is I don't really do video, which apparently is pretty high on your list - I do know that a lot of the higher end Canon's do have phase detection for the video autofocus system which might be a big selling point for you, but it was never really of all that much interest to me. So probably your best bet would be to look at each camera and compare them, and ask yourself if the benefits of the more expensive camera is really worth the price difference to you personally.

Welcome to the site.

Most reactions

Back