Hello from Blackpool, England

John Orrell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The Land of 365-day Winters:North West England :(
I'm an enthusiast of older Olympus manual-focus OM equipment and rangefinder gear. I live in Blackpool: a cheesy holiday-resort in North West England (it's not too bad a place once you get out of the touristy-places)

I have the following kit:

SLRs:
Olympus OM4T(i);
Olympus OM10 Quartz (a hand-me-down I can't bear to part with);
Zuiko 50mm f/1.8, 28mm f/2.8 and 135mm f/2.8 primes;
Tamron 'Adaptall 2' 70-210mm f/3.8-4 zoom;
Tokina RMC 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 zoom;
Olympus T32 flash
Olympus Winder 2

Rangefinder/Viewfinder:
Olympus Trip 35 (later model with the black button);
Olympus 35 SP (very early model, s/n 185936)

Digital:
Kodak 6490 4-Megapixel 'creative compact'

My primary interests are landscapes, but when my wife gave birth to our twin boys 2½ years ago I kind of grudgingly succumbed to family portraiture :roll:

I just found this forum out of pure accident and I'm looking forward to spending some time looking through it for useful tips on how to improve my technique, and get inspiration from everyone's great photos. Perhaps one day I'll take a photo that I think is good enough to submit for public critique :D

All the best
John

Welcome to the forum! You have a nice collection of gear.

Perhaps one day I'll take a photo that I think is good enough to submit for public critique

bah! You gotta get over that. :wink: Post some of your stuff in the regular photo gallery if you want to avoid actual critique, but you'll find this is an interested and helpful bunch of folks. No one's here to rip anyone's work.

Have fun! :D

Thanks for all your best wishes

hobbes28 said:
Welcome to the forum from another DX6490 user! :D :D

Yeah...great camera, let down by the fact that you can only save your materpieces as a JPG, and you don't even get to choose the extent of compression :!: :roll: What I'd give for a software upgrade, though I doubt if any will be forthcoming from Kodak: no money to be made from it.

John Orrell said:
hobbes28 said:
Welcome to the forum from another DX6490 user! :D :D

Yeah...great camera, let down by the fact that you can only save your materpieces as a JPG, and you don't even get to choose the extent of compression :!: :roll: What I'd give for a software upgrade, though I doubt if any will be forthcoming from Kodak: no money to be made from it.

I was just talking about that yesterday. I think that is the thing I like the least about this camera. They don't have to give us the ability to shoot in raw...just a better compression. I've sent lots of emails to them about it. All in all though... it takes some fantastic pictures.

Welcome John!!! Lots of great folks huddled in this neck of the web...take yer shoes off for a bit and stretch them toes!!! :wink:

Welcome aboard John!
(Oh I do like to be beside the seaside!) :lol:

At last. An Olympus fan - and one from Lancashire to boot. This forum just gets better and better. Welcome aboard John.
And Blackpool is much nicer than Skeggy....

Welcome to the forum John. from another landscape enthusiast.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back